Do I Need Full Rhinoplasty or Can I Just Have Bulbous Tip Reduction? (photo)

Do I Need Full Rhinoplasty or Can I Just Have Bulbous Tip Reduction?

Tip rhinoplasty alone can improve the bulbous or wide nasal tip

+1

Thank you for your question. An exam in person is required.

That said, a tip rhinoplasty alone may be all that you need to narrow and refine your bulbous tip. However it may be necessary to narrow the nasal bones to match your, and I cannot tell from your photographs long whether this would be required.

Rhinoplasty is a complex procedure and requires a plastic surgeon who is very experienced and rhinoplasty technique. Choose a plastic surgeon has an excellent reputation for good rhinoplasty results. They would be important to see before and after photographs of tip rhinoplasty that your chosen surgeon has performed.

Refinement of just the lower third of the nose may be all that you need

+1

Thank you for the question and the photo.  Although it is a little hard to get a full assessment of the shape of your nose from the one photo alone it seems that you may be a good candidate for a limited rhinoplasty where only the lower third of the nose is refined.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Rhinoplasty Is The Patient's Decision

+1

Asking the opinion of a surgeon to determine if a patient NEEDS a rhinoplasty is like asking him/her to take the final decision on behalf of their patients and that cannot happen.

However, a surgeon can help the patients by providing them with the best solution required to enhance a given feature the patient may have trouble with.

With that perspective, you are self-aware of a bulbous tip that could be reduced and refined by a tip reduction/modification.

Nonetheless, redefining your nasal tip may require additional nasal modifications to provide you with a natural looking nose fitting your facial traits; such an approach can only be performed during an in-person evaluation.

That being said, please remember that commendable results require an exceptionally skilled surgeon to perform the surgery and settling for anything less than that increases the chances of additional corrective surgeries dramatically.

I hope this helps and please feel free to check the website below.

Thank you for your inquiry.
The best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Is a full rhinoplasty necessary?

+1

It would really depend on the individual circumstances of the patient.  The goal with rhinoplasty is to create a nose that is in harmony with an individual's other facial features, and enhance their own natural look.  It is possible to perform tip work only, and your surgeon can determine whether or not this is an option during an examination.  I would recommend a consultation with a surgeon that has a great deal of experience, and has had great results keeping their patients features nicely balanced with a natural outcome. Before and after photos are a great way to help find the right surgeon for you. Thank you and best of luck!

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Rhinoplasty Thoughts

+1

Do the least amount of surgery for the most amount of good.  In other words, figure out with your Cosmetic Surgeon what bothers you most about your nose and then define a plan to address those specific issues.  Best of Luck!

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Tip vs Full Rhinoplasty

+1

The overall shape and appearance of the nose is influenced by each of its component parts. Sometimes when you change one part of the nose, the rest of the nose then looks different as well. It may well be that all you need is a tip rhinoplasty, but it would be important to be certain. This is why getting a consultation with computer imaging would be very helpful. Look at the potential results with a full rhinoplasty vs that of a tip rhinoplasty alone. While computer imaging is not a guarantee of results, it does help one make more of a 'visual' decision.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Tip rhinoplasty works well.

+1

Hi.

Just going by your one smiling picture, I think the nasal tip can be refined by itself, if that  is all that bothers you.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Yes You Can Just Fix the Tip- But You Probably Won't Like It

+1

It certainly is possible to reduce the tip of the nose only, but most of the time, people are not really happy with their result. Typically, once the tip is reduced in size, the rest of the nose (which looked fine when paired with the bulbous tip) all of a sudden looks too big or too wide in comparison. A great nose has all of it's parts in balance with one another, and also balances the rest of the features on the face. it's amazing how often the overall look of a patient's face changes once the nose "fits". The best way for you to know whether or not just doing the tip will give you the results you want is to see a surgeon who does computer imaging. They will take a picture of your face and then make the changes to the tip of your nose so that you have an idea about how you will look afterwards. In my practice, we will also then do another image where we change the rest of the nose as well. Close to 90% of the time, the patient likes the complete rhinoplasty much better than just the tip-plasty.

Michael R. Menachof, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Yes, You Can Just Fix the Tip

+1

Depending on your anatomy and your goals, a procedure to define you tip can be performed.  You have to make sure that these changes are in proportion for the rest of your nose.  I cannot give you a specific answer about your nose without more pictures.  

Jonathan Kulbersh, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

The bulbous nose tip; a balanced nose approach!

+1

Hi Sez, This is one of the questions I come across most often when seeing patients for rhinoplasty; can we just address the bulbous tip? The quick answer is yes, you can address the tip alone. However, the nose tends to be prone to having the operated look if the various parts of it are not in a natural balance.  Sometimes you need to do more to the nose in order  to have a more natural final appearance. That said, based on the photo that you've posted in one view, tip refinement and reducing the width of the alar base (base of the nostrils) may be enough to give you the improvement you desire. As others have mentioned an in person evaluation with an experienced nose surgeon would be invaluable. I hope this helps.

Ramin Behmand, MD