Tummy Tuck and Full Pelvic Reconstruction, What to Expect for TT Recovery?

i had full pelvic reconstruction at the same time as my tummy tuck (rectocele, bladder, hysterectomy, and vaginal prolapse) will my tt be as sucessfully, and how much more recovery time should expect??? thanks

Combined intraabdominal and pelvis surgeries with tummy tuck increase risk of complications

+2

The problem is that this increases the length of surgery as well as often , the pressure on the vena cava, the rturn of venous blood from the legs.  Vein clots  have many risk factors including :genetics (certain mutations make some people more prone to clotting), taking certain medications (hormones, birth control pills etc), having occult cancer, smoking, obesity,  and SURGERY LONGER THAN 2  HOURS . 

Tummy tuck and pelvic surgery

+2

It sounds like you had the surgery already so I can't tell you to avoid combining the procedures.  I can tell you that it will take a while to recover, much longer than each individual surgery would.  Please make sure you ambulate enough to help prevent deep vein thrombosis.  It will be harder to do so when you had such a big surgery but you are going to have to force yourself.  If your surgeon put you on Lovenox (a blood thinner) then that would help as well.  Watch out for any signs of infection as this risk is increased.  If you have NOT had the procedures then please think twice about it.  If you go through with it all then it would be a great idea to stay in the hospital afterwards. 

Reno Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck with pelvic reconstruction

+2

It is perhaps more difficult to get a perfect aesthetic result if tummy tuck is done as a part of a major operation. Expect a recovery time of at least 2-3 months

Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Don't do a tummy tuck at the same time as a major abdominal surgery

+2

By trying to do something that sounds logical and convenient to you, you are actually substantially increasing the risks of complications, some potentially fatal, with the proposed surgery here.  I would refuse to do this if you were my patient and "save you from yourself" here and go the safer route with the TT done 4-6 months later.  Good luck and be safe please!

+2

Having a LARGE intra-abdominal operation (correction of a rectocele, bladder suspension, hysterectomy, and correction of a vaginal prolapse) is associated with a significant recovery. Many Plastic surgeons would decline to perform a Tummy Tuck at the same time such an operation is done because combining these procedures would be associated with a high risk of deep vein clotting and potential deadly clots to the lungs, with reduced mobility and reduced breathing ability associated with pneumonia and because of the handling of the bowel and cutting across the vagina of potentially spreading bacteria found in those areas across the much larger wound created in performing a tummy tuck.

In my opinion, a Tummy Tuck is not a small operation and combining it with SEVERAL other operations would needlessly increase the risks of infection, pneumonia and blood clot formation as well as prolong post surgery recovery.

Doing these operation several months or more apart would be safer and be associated with much faster recovery.

Dr. Peter A Aldea

Tummy Tuck

+1

With all the other things recovery will be a bit slower, but some may not be too bad.  Speak with all surgeons involved and get their input.

Web reference: http://www.elitemdspa.info/

Danville Plastic Surgeon