Full or Mini?

Hi there, after 1 c-section, I am left with a deflated abdomen and as can be seen in the photographs, red stretch marks from my belly button down. I have a consultation on May 6, but I am seeking other opinions as to whether or not a mini or full tummy tuck would be most beneficial to the appearance of my stomach. Thanks so much.

Full tummy tuck is better

+2

If you desire a complete rejuvenation of your abdomen, a full tummy tuck is your better option. From your picture, I would add liposuction to the waist. So a combination of tummy tuck and lip of the waist. This will rejuvenate your waist, tighten the muscles and correct the abdominal bulge. There are very limited indication for mini TT

In general, women who had children will better served with a full tummy tuck.

Full Tummy Tuck Or Mini?

+2

Unfortunately it is difficult to determine the best choice for you based on one frontal photo and without a complete exam. Just as important, in my opinion,is to find out what your hopes and expectations are regarding your results. Please visit our website for more information and photos. Good Luck.

Douglas L. Gervais, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Full tummy tuck or mini tummy tuck

+2

You would be optimally suited by neither the full tummy tuck nor the mini tummy tuck.

The full fummy tuck will give you a long high incision.

The mini tuck will treat the lower abdomen but still allow a bulge in the upper abdomen.

You would be best suited by a hybrid tyummy tuck involving full tightening of the fascia with a very low incision.  Only then will you get a tight fascia the entire length of your incision while avoiding a long high scar.  This procedure involves use of an endoscope or specialized instruments to access the upper abdomen strictly through a very low abdominal incision.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Tummy Tuck - Full or Mini?

+1

Impossible to say for sure without being able to examine you and interview you - too much just depends on what your skin is like, and what your expectations are.  That being said, my guess is that a full TT with additional liposuction of your waist and love-handles will be most likely to give you the surgical result you'd be happiest with.  It is, of course, a more extensive surgical procedure than a mini - but you will also have more dramatic results.  And going around for several consultations is exactly the right approach.  Read about your procedure, look at photos, go talk to surgeons.  That combination is in your best interest ultimately.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Tummy tuck and mini-tummy tuck in Naples, Florida

+1

There are trade offs with each of these procedures.  The full tummy tuck has a larger scar, but accomplishes more in resecting more of the stretch-mark damaged skin of the lower abdomen.  The mini-tummy tuck removes only a small amount of skin while it does tighten the muscles that get stretched out during pregnancy like a full abdominoplasty does.  So, what you chose will depend on your goals which should be discussed during your consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon.

Kent V. Hasen, MD
Naples Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck

+1

The question of whether a full or mini abdominoplasty should be done depends on the quality and amount of excess skin. This is best determined at the time of your consultation with you bent forward and the surgeon determining the amount of skin that can be removed.

David L. Abramson, MD

Full vs. mini-tummy tuck?

+1

Mini-tummy tuck, as is performed by most plastic surgeons in Beverly Hills, involves removing excess skin of the lower abdomen and maybe some tightening of the lower abdominal muscles. this is usually reserved for those women who have very little excess skin and very limited stretch marks. Most women with multiple pregnancies and stretch marks that extend to the mid-abdomen with weakness of the upper and lower abdomen, are better served by a full tummy tuck.

S. Sean Younai, MD, FACS

Mini versus full tumy tuck

+1

the choice is yours , but it depends on your goals.  if you want to remove all the stretch marks from under your belly button then you must do a full tummy tuck.  if you want to lose the excess skin then you must do a full tummy yuck.  if you want to lose some fat and tighten the abdominal wall , then the mini is your answer, but your skin will still be loose  good luck

Jonathan Saunders, MD
Newark Plastic Surgeon

There are other options that you could consider.

+1

Thanks for your question Kaitlyn. As some of the other surgeons have appropriately commented,it's tough to tell from just one photo and without knowing more of your history and future plans relative to childbearing. Having said that, most patients aren't great candidates for the classical "mini" abdominoplasty which often is a compromise solution insofar as it doesn't address laxity of the abdominal wall above the belly button or any loose skin above the belly button ( which you don't appear to have). The other abdominoplasty technique to consider if you want to eliminate your stretch marks, contour the abdominal fat and tighten the abdominal muscle wall is the Brazilian lipoabdominoplasty technique developed by Dr. Saldanha. This is a great operation for  relatively fit patients with central abdominal skin laxity and stretch marks and offers the combined benefit of safe liposuction, lower abdominal skin removal,  and tightening of the abdominal wall connective tissue. If you have minimal skin excess, a full abdominoplasty or Saldanha may require leaving a small vertical incision in the midline above the mons, but this is usually avoidable. Good luck with your consultation. 

Paul Angelchik, MD
Glendale Plastic Surgeon