Will I need a full or mini tummy tuck??

I have 2 children, my last one 2 years ago and I can't get rid of this skin!!! I am 5'7" tall and weigh 120 lbs. I desperately want to get rid of this lose skin but am very concerned about scar placement as well as recovery. I am assuming a full tummy tuck will take longer to recover from and I still have a 2 & 4 year old to care for. Do you think I would need a full or a mini tummy tuck?

Mini Tummy Tuck Is All You Need

+4

Thank you for your question. You are thin and fit with a small amount of loose skin on your tummy after having children.

From your photographs it appears to me that the mini tummy tuck will tighten your skin sufficiently without the need for full tummy tuck and an incision around your umbilicus or belly button. If you have a split muscle beneath the skin, called a diastases recti a more extensive procedure may be required.

I do notice loose skin around your belly button. A mini tummy tuck alone will not correct the skin around the belly button.

However I have had success tightening the skin around the belly button during the course of a mini tummy tuck by utilizing laser assisted liposuction and skin tightening of the skin around the belly button.

Please see my link below for photographs of this procedure.

Full Tummy Tuck Almost Always Best Procedure

+1

A full tummy tummy tuck that stretches the entire abdominal wall from the rib cage down gives the most flexibility to the surgeon and yields the "tightest" abdominal wall and sexiest hourglass figure possible. The scar is only slightly longer than that required for a mini-tummy tuck and if kept low enough will hardly be of any concern at all. Your umbilicus can be re-oriented vertically and the suture line hidden inside, giving you back the belly button you had before children. Finally, the recovery from both procedures is nearly identical so don't listen to all of the "noise" out there and do the full tummy tuck...it will definitely give you the BEST RESULT! Good luck...

Eric Sadeh, MD

Will I need a full or mini tummy tuck??

+1

I think that a short scar tummy tuck will produce a better tighter result with a similar length scar as the minitummy tuck.

Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of tummy tuck procedures each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

How to decide between a full tummy tuck and a mini tummy tuck

+1

it is hard without examining you in person.

It looks like you have some skin excess around your umbilicus that will need a full tummy tuck. If you have separation of your 6 pack muscle then a full TT is the way to go. A mini is a good option if your problems are in the lower third only

Naveen Somia, MBBS, PhD, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Will I need a full or mini tummy tuck??

+1

Over the internet very hard to advise in your case because you seem to be borderline!!! I think you would be better served with a fill skin only TT.

Full vs. Mini Tummy Tuck

+1

When I evaluate the abdomen, I assess:

1. The amount of loose skin

2. The volume of fatty tissue

3. The degree of muscle laxity.

I evaluate this in each of 3 areas:

1. Upper Abdomen

2. Area around the Belly Button

3. Lower Abdomen

MINI TUMMY TUCK: If a patient has loose skin, fatty tissue, and muscle laxity limited to the Lower Abdomen, then I recommend the mini tummy tuck. In order to qualify for this, the patient must have good skin and muscle tone in their upper abdomen and area around the belly button. I will frequently perform liposuction of these areas with my Mini Tummy Tuck to enhance the overall contour.

FULL TUMMY TUCK: this is for patients who have loose skin and muscle laxity of the upper abdomen, belly button area, and lower abdomen. This procedure tightens all 3 areas with a bikini line incision. I often encorporate liposuction with my full tummy tuck as I feel it offers a superb end result.

EXTENDED TUMMY TUCK: This works well for patients who have loose skin that extends over the hip bone into the flank area. I will perform extensive liposuction and skin excision to the hip and flank area combined with full tummy tuck.

BODY LIFT/BELT LIPECTOMY: this is essentially a 360 degree tummy tuck which involves removal of loose skin and fatty tissue of the lower back and buttocks, in addition to the extended tummy tuck.

I wish you a safe recovery and amazing result!!

Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

Full vs mini tummy tuck

+1

Thanks for your question. I am not sure that a mini tummy tuck will deal with all of your extra skin. I would need to examine you to give you the best answer. But, the punchline is that the appearance of your abdomen will be so much improved by a tummy tuck. Best of luck.

Christopher J. Davidson, MD, FACS
Wellesley Plastic Surgeon

Top Tummy Tuck Surgeon in Santa Monica

+1

I would advise you to undergo liposuction, a mini tummy tuck, and a belly button makeover. Raffy Karamanoukian Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Full or Mini Tummy tuck

+1

If you want to address the loose skin around your belly button, I would recommend a full tummy tuck. I don't think the recovery is remarkably harder than a mini and I think this would give you the best result possible. I have 3 kids so I know how crazy it can be - but my theory is - if you are going to do it - do it right and get excellent results! Best of luck!

K. Roxanne Grawe, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Candidate For Mini Tummy Tuck

+1

Thank you for your pictures. You do not have a lot of excess skin and mild abdominal wall laxity. You might be one of the few that would be a candidate for a mini tummy tuck. Get Consultation from a couple of BC PS.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS