Do I Need a Full or Mini Tummy Tuck? (photo)

Iam31 years old with 3 children. My last is 5 years old and was a c-section. I have been doing reasearch on tt's and have had 2 consultations. I was told by one doctor that I would need a vertical scar inorder to have a full tt. The other was pretty certain he could do a full without that. From the photos below I would love to have some insight on if A) I need a full B) does it look as if I would need a vertical scar. C) what would be the best course of action at this point? Full/Mini etc.

Full vs. Mini Tummy Tuck

+1

Thank you for your story and the photos.  It looks like you would benefit from a full tummy tuck.  The rectus muscles can be placed back together as well.  The mini tummy tuck is for those with just a little extra skin that needs to be taken down.  This is not usually the case.  Please go see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.  Together, you will choose the right operation for you.

Web reference: http://www.jjrothmd.com/procedures/tummy-tuck-abdominoplasty

Full or Mini Tummy Tuck?

+1

Great question!  Simply put, you need a full tummy tuck without a vertical scar and you should only seek out board-certified plastic surgeons to perform your procedure.  Best wishes!

Alpharetta Plastic Surgeon

Rarely is a Mini Tummy Tuck Adequate

+1

You certainly need a full tummy tuck.  A mini tummy tuck would not take out enough skin.  However, you do not need a vertical scar.  If you are not planning on having additional children, I recommend abdominoplasty with mesh reinforcement.  This procedure has been shown to reduce weight and maintain weight reduction long term.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Web reference: http://spectrum.ieee.org/geek-life/profiles/weight-loss-surgery-as-systems-engineering

Texas Plastic Surgeon

Full vs. Mini Tummy Tuck

+1

Thank you for sharing your photos!!   In my opinion,  I could get my best result for you with a full tummy tuck.   I do not think a vertical scar will be necessary.   I would encourage you to seek the advice of at least 3 board certified plastic surgeons to ensure you make the most educated decision.

I wish you a safe recovery and amazing result !!

Dr. Gill

Web reference: http://www.drpaulgill.com

Mini or full tummy tuck

+1

is often determined by how lax your tummy is when relaxed and by how much skin you wish to remove.  Your photos suggest a full tummy tuck will be better but there are extended mini-tucks that can produce a good result too as it involves either sliding your belly button down an inch or having an umbilectomy with umbilical reconstruction at a later time.

Do I Need a Full or Mini Tummy Tuck?

+1

The posted photos show you need a full tummy tuck with muscle repair. The mini operation is the incorrect choice for you in my opinion. 

You definitely need a full TT

+1

you would not get a good result at all with a mini TT. you absolutely need a full TT. 

however, i doubt very much that you need an additional vertical incision. you should get a very nice result.

good luck 

david berman md

Sterling Plastic Surgeon

A full tummy tuck is likely your best option.

+1

Thank you for your question and the photos.

To be sure, see two or more board-certified plastic surgeons in your area for a full and complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have surgery. I hope this helps.

Mini vs. Full Tummy Tuck

+1

You would obtain the best aesthetic results with a full tummy tuck.  Based on your photos and history of multiple pregnancies it appears that you have significant loose skin and muscle (rectus diastasis) in the upper and lower abdomen.  A full tummy tuck addresses the upper and lower abdomen, whereas a mini-tummy tuck only addresses the lower abdomen.  I believe you would have a nice cosmetic outcome with a standard horizontal lower abdominal scar alone.   Adding a vertical scar may improve your contour since it removes skin and tissue in another dimension, however I do not believe your situation justifies having an easily visible scar.  Good luck with your surgery.

Mini vs full TT

+1

Dear Haircut3,

Your picture reveals significant skin laxity with strech marks involving the upper and lower abdomen. Also , muscle laxity is visible from the mid upper abdomen to the pubic bone. These  are classical indications for full Tummy tuck.. Mini Tummy tuck is indicated only in cases where there is skin and muscle laxity from the belly button down. As far as vertical scar - absolutly not. It will be a travesty to give you a vertical scar where a routine Tummy tuck will give you a great result with only horizontal scar along the groin and pubic area. Be sure to select a board certified plastic surgeon who performed many Tummy tucks.

Dr Widder  

Web reference: http://widderplasticsurgery.com

Washington DC Plastic Surgeon