Full or Mini Tummy Tuck? (photo)

Hi my name is Dee,i am 21 and the mother of one 2 year old. I am 5 feet 0 inches tall and 102lbs.When i was pregnant i gained a healthy 25lbs and it was all belly. A week after birth i lost close to 20lbs without even trying so i was left with loose skin on my belly that has left me extremely self conscious.I workout regularly but the pooch has yet to go away these past two years.I feel surgery is my only option. So doctors do i need a full or mini tummy tuck? Thank you in advance

Full Tummy Tuck Candidate.

+2

Thank you for the question and pictures.

You should be congratulated on doing the best job possible with diet and exercise;  you are correct, at this point surgical intervention will be helpful.

I think you are a good candidate for the full tummy tuck procedure.

A few words of caution for patients contemplating tummy tuck surgery may be in order:  In my opinion, the mini tummy talk is an  operation that  produces very limited results and is very rarely indicated. It involves a shorter incision but does not address the majority of the abdominal wall issues present for most patients who present consultation. For example, the area of skin excised is quite small. The abdominal wall musculature is addressed below the umbilicus leaving the upper number wall potentially lax. The appearance of the umbilicus is not necessarily addressed sufficiently.

For most patients who have had pregnancies and/or weight loss a full abdominoplasty is necessary to achieve the desired results. Of course, there are downsides (including a longer scar and probably a longer recovery time) but for most patients the benefits outweigh the downsides. It is not unusual to see patients who've had mini tummy tuck  surgery present for  revisionary surgery.
It is important  for patients seeking abdominal contouring surgery to work with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon to obtain advice (based on good ethics and judgment) to  improve  their chances of a successful outcome and minimize the need for further surgery.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/procedure_tummytuck.htm

Full versus Mini Tummy Tuck post pregnancy

+1

Hi Dee,

Thank you for your inquiry.  The main question that you need to ask yourself is whether or not you plan to have more children.  If you plan to have more children, you will more than likely need the surgery repeated once you are done having kids. The abdominal muscles and tissues that hold the muscles together separate during pregnancy to allow the fetus to grow.  A full tummy tuck involves suturing this tissue back together to create a new "internal girdle" so to speak.  If you plan on having more children, you will un-do this work.  The question between a full versus a mini tummy tuck can only be answered by examining your stomach muscles here in the office to determine if any separation has occurred.  The choice then is ultimately yours.  There is a difference in recovery between the two, so this is also something to keep in mind when making your decision.  Please feel free to call our office to schedule a consultation for further examination.

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck Post Pregnancy

+1

The first step is to decide whether you are interested in having more children.  The next step would be to make an appointment for a complimentary consultation to see whether you are simply dealing with lax skin, or if it is muscular as well.  Your Dr could then give you a better idea of what options would be best for you at this point in your life.  I know it seems a bit vague, but it is important to have a little more information before definitively offering a treatment plan.

Aurora Plastic Surgeon

Mini versus Full Tummy Tuck

+1

Make sure you are done with your childbearing. A mini will not change things as much. It will not be as tight. Minis commonly underperform, but they do amount to less surgery.

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

Orange Plastic Surgeon

Full or mini

+1

A tummy tuck is designed to do a handful of things such as remove excess skin, allow access to tighten the abdominal wall, and to rejuvenate the belly button.  A mini tummy tuck would remove some of the extra skin and laxity below your belly button but would not fix the skin around and above your belly button and would not rejuvenate your belly button.

Based on your photos and the assumption that you would want the best result possible I would recommend a full tummy tuck.  If you get a mini tummy tuck I would leave the belly button attached which would make the process of getting a full tummy tuck later if you choose to do so easier.

Dr. Remus Repta