Do I Need a Full or Mini Tummy Tuck?

Had a flat great tummy before I had my son. I weighed 115, 5'2. Now I weigh 140 and have this hanging belly. I would like to get rid of my belly and "love handles". Would a mini tuck be enough considering my small size? Also, would my tattoo be gone completely? You can see the location of my tattoo although I blurred it out. I am looking to meet with a surgeon soon

Do I Need a Full or Mini Tummy Tuck?

+1

A tummy tuck coupled with liposuction of the love handles may produce the best results, but without pictures or an exam it would be difficult to make any recommendations.   Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of tummy tucks and liposuction procedures each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Opinions without photos

+1

can't really be provided.  But as you are seeing a surgeon soon, its best to discuss your goals and expectations with him/her so he/she can provide you a realistic idea of what can be accomplished.

Curtis Wong, MD

Tummy Tuck :Full Vs. Mimi?

+1

Following the advice from a surgeon or any other website who proposes to tell you what to do without at least seeing photos, but more importantly without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of each operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery ASAPS)  that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD  FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

VERY few women benefit by a mini tummy tuck.

+1

Hi.

If you have hanging skin, you need a full tummy tuck.  A mini is mostly a marketing idea anyway.  The scar is a little longer and the recovery is a little longer, but the main thing is to get the result you want.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Mini vs full abdominoplasty

+1

Without photos it is not possible to answer your question fully but from your description you would seem to be a better candidate for a standard abdominoplasty

Full or mini

+1

unfotunately your pictures are not available. From your discription though, it seems that a full tuck is needed. Your Plastic surgeon when you meet with him should be able to advise you on what to do.

Peter Fisher, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Probably a full tummy tuck

+1

HI MommyLife.  From what you described you need a full tummy tuck, perhaps with liposuction of your love handles.  Your pictures are not available, so it is harder to give you good advice.  I suggest you see your plastic surgeon to get a more informed opinion. 

Lewis Ladocsi, MD, FACS
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Full vs mini tummy tuck

+1

Thank you for your question, however I do not see any pictures. Based on your description, you seem like you're a good candidate for lateral tension abdominoplasty which is a specific kind of tummy tuck. He would need to be examined in person to see whether or not you're a candidate for a mini abdominoplasty.  If your tattoo is below your belly button, it is likely that it will be removed as a portion of lateral tension abdominoplasty. Please see the board-certified plastic surgeon with expertise in this area to ascertain your candidacy.

Kevin Tehrani, MD, FACS

Tummy Tuck vs Mini Tummy Tuck and Liposuction

+1

I don't see the photos but from what you describe with skin hanging the most appropriate procedure sounds kile a regular tummy tuck with liposuction of the flanks and waist. Mini Tummy Tucks only address problems between the bikini line and belly button and have limited indications.  See a board certified plastic surgeon in your area with an expertise in aesthetic body contouring for more information. Good luck!

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Full

+1

From what you describe a full with lipo of the love handles would be perfect. We also use a long acting local anesthetic so you get three days of pain relief. Try to lose some weight before and you should look terrific after.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD