Full or Mini Abdominoplasty After Weight Loss for Male?

About a year ago, I lost roughly 70lbs and have maintained my current weight since then. However, I have bothersome stretch marks and loose skin that I'd like to get removed. Based on the picture, am I a candidate for a full tummy tuck or a mini tummy tuck?

Lower abdominal excess skin after large weight loss

+2

First, congratulations on your weight loss and an excellent physique!

You are best off just removing skin from the lower abdomen, not from the upper abdomen as this appears very tight.

That way you could leave the belly button undisturbed and have a low incision.

Full or mini abdominoplasty

+1
I would recommend a lower tummy tuck where we remove a lot of excess skin but do not move the belly button or tighten the muscle.  The recovery is pretty quick and you will look great.

David Stoker, MD

Full or mini tummy tuck depends on where the problem is.

+1
If you’re really only concerned about the lower abdomen, then it is possible that a mini tummy tuck will be sufficient correction. The nice thing about a mini tummy tuck is that your belly button will be left in place, and the scar is smaller. However, it’s important to find a board certified plastic surgeon with lots of experience performing the mini tummy tuck or you might not get the results you’re hoping for. From your photo, the muscle definition through the upper abdomen is very clear, and if that’s the case through the lower belly as well, a tummy tuck of any kind (even a mini abdominoplasty) might be overkill.

Frank Campanile, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Tummy contouring

+1

congratulations on your weight loss!  if you just have excess skin below your belly button, then a mini-tummy tuck may be in order.  Please visit with a board certified PS who is a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons to learn more about your options.

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

A mini-tummy tuck may be for you

+1

Congratulations on your weight loss.  You look great.  Your abdomen is well sculpted and I can tell you have been working out.  I would suggest a mini tummy tuck with removal of excess skin.  I do not think your upper abdomen needs work nor around your belly button.  The only area of concern is really from below your belly button.  The incision typically would be done in the pubic region and would eliminate most of this excess skin and fat.

Thank you,

J. Timothy Katzen, MD, FACS

J. Timothy Katzen, MD, FACS

Partial or full tummy tuck after weight loss

+1
Unfortunately the photo doesn't clearly show the condition of your abdomen. It appears that you have good muscle definition. At consultation you will be able to discuss your expectations and goals with a board certified plastic surgeon.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Tummy tuck Surgery

+1

You probably do not need either a mini or full tummy tuck. Small amount of skin excision may be all that's necessary to treat the “problem area”. Best wishes.

Abdominal surgery

+1

Judging from your photograph it does not appear that a surgical scar would be a good trade for the flat abdomen you have. The are some laser treatment that can improve stretch marks ,but no completely erase. Congratulations on all your hard work.

Rodger Wade Pielet, MD (in memoriam)

Tummy tucks in men

+1

Tummy tucks in men are unusual in the absence of massive weight loss. I would suggest only a mini tuck for you based upon your photograph. However, when you visit a plastic surgeon, be sure to look at photos to see the scar left by the surgery. Your abdomen appears to be so sculpted that it would really be shame to add a scar to it unless you really need it. Good luck.

Nina S. Naidu, MD, FACS

You are a poor candidate for full or mini abdominoplasty

+1

I agree with Dr Aldea, you are a poor candidate for surgery. You should review your options because you might be very unhappy with the scars from the tummy tuck.