I Have Done Full Face Fractional CO2 Laser Resurfacing 1 Month Back. My Redness is Gone.But I Can See More Scars on Face Now?

Acne Scars

Fractional CO2 Laser Resurfacing and Acne Scars

+1
Fraxel laser is an excellent safe and effective method for getting rid of acne scars.  I have not seen the laser produce more scars one month after treatment.  I would urge you to return to your treating physician for examination.  As with all lasers please find a board certified physician who is experienced with lasers for the best results.

Still early in the process one month after fractionated CO2 laser resurfacing for acne scarring

+1

Acne scarring is difficult to treat because it is a deep dermal problem.  The fractional laser energy does a good job at smoothing out the superficial irregularities but it has a difficult time with these deeper scars.  The Cynosure SmartXide laser has the capability of stacking the pulses to penetrated deeper into the scar.  The deeper the treatment and the closer together the dots then the more prolonged the healing as well.  Complete healing takes 4 - 6 months to achieve.  

The appearance of scars treated with Fractional CO2 at one month post -op is variable

+1

Not all fractional CO2 lasers are equal and not all treatemnts are equal. To have maximum impact on the scars , the laser needs to penetrate to the full depth of the scar and for maximum improvement a high density of treatment is best. Both of these conditions would generally result in some degree of redness lasting more than a month.But undertreating wouldn't make them look worse. Dry skin could .Or unrealistic expectations could.You need to look at photos under the same lighting and same camera angles to compare.You should keep in mind however that the major method of improvement is new collagen fibers replacing the scar tissue. This is a process that takes 3-6 months, so at 1 month you are only seeing early changes.

Richard Fitzpatrick, MD (in memoriam)
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon