Will This Get Me a Full D Cup? (photo)

I am getting 370ccs instead of going into the 400s. I am a 34B now with sorta "tubulor" shaped breasts. My doctor is going over the muscle. I am wondering if I should have gone into the 400s or not...Sorry for the horrible photos i have too many tatoos to hide.

Implant Selection Process

+1

In order to make an accurate size recommendation, I would need to assess your chest wall and breast mound measurements and characteristics.  Unfortunately, there is not a general rule of thumb or objective criteria to implant selection.
Your plastic surgeon will perform several measurements of your chest wall and breast anatomy and determine a range of implants that both fit your chest wall and reach your desired goals.
The next step is to try on this range of implants in the office with your doctor.   The key to this success is showing your surgeon the body proportion you desire with a bra sizer and allowing your surgeon to guide you to the right implant.   It will be much easier to communicate in implant cc's than cup size when determining the appropriate implant for you.
I wish you a safe recovery and fantastic result.
Dr. Gill

Consider More than Cup Size in Choosing Breast Implants

+1

It is always very tough to estimate what size breast implants will translate into a specific cup size. Bra cup sizes are not at all standardized. It is much better to focus on the width of your chest and the quality of your skin as well as the position of your nipples in planning which size implant is best. Without knowing the width of your chest, it is virtually impossible to recommend a breast implant size. Having said that , a 370 cc implant, especially of mid profile, would likely give you a “ D Cup”. It is important to remember that without seeing you in person, I cannot make specific recommendations. However, in my opinion there will be very little difference between 370 ccs and 400 ccs. The problem with either size is that you will get traction, and risk the so called “ rock in a sock” appearance. My preference would be to go with a smaller implant above the muscle. If you unhappy with the nipple position, a breast lift could be done several months later. If you are interested in reading further about the approach to choosing breast implant size that I advise, you may wish to read the following blog post:

Michael Weinberg, MD

Lift and Small Implant to maximize projection

+1

Your photographs show your breasts are too low and you have excess separation between them.  Adding 300 cc implants, which weight approximately 1 lb, will add additional mechanical load resulting in lower and more lateral breasts, particularly when placed in front of the muscle.  Doing that would be a big mistake.  You are focused on size but should consider a lift and small implant to increase projection.  At 34 B, a 200 cc implant will take you up to a D.  I do not recommend going larger than a D since it will be difficult to find clothes and bras that fit.  Using only a circumareola incision it is possible to lift your breast tissue higher on the chest wall, increase your cleavage by medial displacement and reshape your breast to create upper pole fullness.  Through the same incision, the implant is placed and you avoid the ugly vertical scars (lollipo or boat anchor shaped incisions).  I recommend you consider a new technique called Breast Augmentation with Mini Ultimate Breast Lift.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Breast size

+1

Thanks for your question.  It's really difficult to say with certainty based on the photos.  However, as a general rule if you are in the B-range at this point I think an implant in the mid 300's will be in the C to full C range.  As you begin to go into the 400 size you will trend towards a D.  If you go on top of the muscle, compared to below the muscle, the implants will appear larger because they have greater projection.  Hope this helps.

Shaun Parson, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Predicting breast cup size based on breast implant volume.

+1

It is difficult to correlate breast implant volume to cup size since everyone varies depending on breast and chest wall dimensions, body frame, how you wear your bra and what kind of bra you wear.   However there are ways to give you a sense of how they look.

1. You can try different size implants at your surgeons office in the bra size you want and see what size fills it out.
  2. You try the same thing with a bag of rice at home and measure the volume that it takes to get the look you want.
  3. Many plastic surgeons have computer imaging software that can help predict how you would appear with different size implants. 
  4. Finally, many plastic surgeon will offer to try different sized implants in the operating room to ensure that they can achieve your desired appearance.  This way you don't have to commit to a specific volume before surgery. 

Adam Hamawy, MD
Princeton Plastic Surgeon

Cup size predictions

+1

Cup size prognostication is not a terribly valuable exercise as every manufacturer uses a different template for bras and many patients do not wear the correct bra for their actual breast size. I would be concerned over going too large with tubular breast issues as this may make the spread between the breasts too pronounced.  Typically, tubular breasts require a bit more surgery than a conventional augmentation.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Predicting Size After Breast Augmentation

+1

It is very difficult to predict post-opearative bra cup size for several reasons, and this is why most Plastic Surgeons are reluctant to guarantee that you will be a specific cup size with a particular implant. There are ways to estimate how many cup sizes you may increase, but ultimately these are just that- estimations.

Using bra cup size estimations are a reasonable starting point for a conversation, but ultimately, there are better ways to deterimine if an implant right for you. Volumetric sizing (trying implants on in a bra) can give you a good way to visualize what you will likely look like and was the standard method for a long time. Today, we have 3D imaging systems that can take a photo of your body and give a very good simulation of your predicted post-operative result. If you are unsure about your implant choice, this may help in your decision process.

Lawrence Iteld, MD

Full D Cup?

+1

Most surgeons are very reluctant to make cup size predictions, because, in part, there is no fixed standards by which the cup sizes are defined. If you have had a chance to try implants on and see what looks good on you, and if you can ignore the cup size issue you are more likely to have a satisfying outcome.

That said, most surgeons feel that you get about 1 cup size increase for each 200 cc or so of implant size. SInce the cup sizes are smaller on a 34 than on a 36 band, you can see that this is only a loose estimate with limited usefulness.

The difference between 370 and 400 is about two tablespoons, not likely noticeable. 

Thank you for your question, best wishes.

370 to 400cc is a very small difference

+1
The difference between a 370cc implant and 400 cc implant is very minimal.  If you are unsure, see your plastic surgeon again and try out his/her sample sizer implants.  Whatever you like, go a little bit bigger as they tend to look smaller once on the inside.
Martin Jugenburg, MD
Toronto Cosmetic Surgery Institute

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Breast implant size

+1

Its difficult to make any recommendations on your implant size without a formal physical exam.  And its tough to evaluate you based on the photos you posted.   Implant size selection can be based on the dimensions of your chest and your size goals.  Please visit with a board certified PS to learn more about your options.

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS