Is a Full Browlift Better Than a Lateral for an Even Lift All Over?

i would like to have my brow lifted slightly i am 43 years old and feel that my eyes are losing the bright sparkle they once had, my surgeon recommended the lateral brow lift, does this not give a cat like look  (pulling from the sides). i would prefer an even lift although not needing much would a surgeon help? i am scheduled for a mini face lift to give my jawline its youthful look back x sorry have no pic

Browlift rechniques differ based on patient anatomy and goals

+2

There are many different browlift techniques available and I have done them all. My favorite for most people is the endoscopic browlift, this can give an overall lift or just a mini lateral type of lift as well as reduce the frown lines and furrows between the brows. This has hidden incision so scars are never a problem.

I was doing the hair sparing lateral browlift for a few years so I did about 80 of them and thought the results were just OK and not as good as I was hoping for. (it took me a year and half to see all ther follow ups enough to really have a good idea of what the final results would be). I find that the endoscopic browlift gives me more power to shape the brows. All the different techniques can be done safely and your surgeon should have knowledge of all of them so that they can help you decide which is best for you.

Types of Brow Lifts

+2

The type of brow lift that you need really depends on your anatomy. Without pictures, it is difficult to give you specific advice. If you only have lateral hooding (drooping of your brows) then a temporal lift is great. If you need an overall lift, then a full lift may better. This can all be done at the same time as your facelift. Good luck with your surgery.

Web reference: http://www.ShaferPlasticSurgery.com

Browlift full or partial?

+2

There are many types of brows, and many types of browlifts.

The factors that are important are which part of the brow should be lifted? there are browlifting techniques for every area in the brow.

What is the hair pattern? Hair sparing vs. hair sacrificing techniques exist.

What is the fixation method? Screws? An endotime? Skin resection alone?

Referenced below is a book chapter on the subject.

Patients should research these topics and make sure they are getting the best procedure for them. Often this starts with a consultation with several top board certified plastic surgeons. Most patients will find a surgeon whose techniques, before-after results and demeanor suits them.

Web reference: http://drbrent.com/Articles/mathesbook.html

Browlift

+2

You have unfortunately approached the decision like the vast majority of patients (and some doctors). It is not that a procedure produces a certain look. Rather, you perform a certain operation to produce the look you desire. One person's lateral brow lift will produce a different "look" than another's, but both should hopefully produce the look that an individual patient desires and requires given his or her anatomy.

Is a lateral brow lift as good as a complete brow lift?

+1

The goal of brows is to harmonize with the upper lids: some separation is necessary but too much elevation is not unnatural.  There are many ways to help the brows appear attractive and youthful. In some patients a non-surgical brow elevation using a Botox, Dysport or Xeomin might be the answer. In others, injectible fillers such as Restylane or Juvederm to help inflate the brow area is  sufficient.  Other times it is only the lateral (outer) brow that needs elevation, so a lateral brow lift is the best solution.   But sometimes the entire brow is weighing down on the upper lids and an entire forehead lift may be necessary.  The next decision is what might be the best way to do to this: smaller separate incisions such as the endoscopically assisted lift. Or would the larger incision (coronal) incision help a particular patient more?  Can hair be spared with this? (the answer is "yes"). In appropriate patients who already have forehead creases, making an incision closer to the brows in the forehead can give very nice results with an acceptable scar and less  downtime and anesthesia. So the best plan is to discuss your goals with your surgeon, asking for the least invasive way that gives a reasonable chance of a nice improvement, so that the eyelid-brows look alert and attractive to you!  

Louisville Facial Plastic Surgeon

LAteral brow lift vs full

+1

It is all  a matter of what you need. A laterl brow lift will raise the lateral brow.  A full browlift will give you access totreat the frontalis muscle and corrugators as well.

Better to have full browlift than just lateral lift

+1

It is better to have a full brow lift than just a lateral lift.  The lateral lift with have stretch back phenomenon and it is important not look cat-eyed.  The other important issues with a brow lift are addressing any muscle hyperactivity in the corrugator frontalis and posterius muscles, addressing the hairline whether they are too low or too high, and any dermal atrophy in the corrugator area.  These are all issues that can be addressed.  In addition, asymmetry of the eyebrows is addressed as well with a full brow lift.

A browlift should really be customized to the patient

+1

A browlift should really be customized to the patient and the shape of their individual brows. Some patients need a full browlift and some need only a lateral lift. One is not better than the other. Each doctor should customize the procedure to the shape of that particular patient’s brow. Seeing an oculoplastic surgeon is ideal for browlifts because they are knowledgeable about the anatomy around the eyes. And, you want to find a surgeon who is known for his or her aesthetic eye.

New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Full or Partial Browlift

+1

There are many techniques for browlifting. All must be individualized to meet the needs of each patient. Clearly describe your goals so  you and your surgeon can select the best approach.

Brow lift versus forehead lift

+1

It really depends on whether you need a brow tail lift or a complete forehead lift. In most cases at your age group, a lateral or temporal brow lift is sufficient and very attractive. However, if you have many horizontal forehead lines, then a forehead lift may be needed.

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.