Full 36D Minus 350g Per Breast What Would That Leave Me With? (photo)

I am a full 36D cup breast size and am going for a breast reduction. My surgeon has to take off 350g per breast so my insurance will cover it. I have suffered from very persistent neck and upper back pain for years. I am 21 years old I am 5' tall and weigh 135 pounds. What cup size could I expect to be?

Breast reduction will give you a C cup.

+2

Hi.

Of course this is an approximation.  But you are lucky that the insurance requirement happens to meet your needs.  Your surgeon may even want to take out a little more.

Cup size isn't predictable

+2
In your case, I would remove closer to 500 grams per breast. 350 grams is a minimal reduction and, if you gain any weight (which is likely at your age), you may require a secondary reduction. Whenever the concern is neck and back pain, it is better to be smaller rather than larger. I would consider your breasts to be closer to a DD than a D and do not think that 350 grams will be enough.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

What breast size will I be after a reduction.

+2

It is unfortunate that insurance companies dictate  coverage on the amount of tissue removed and not on the symptoms which are present. Generally patients are reduced to a C cup after surgery, but there is quite a bit of variation.  A 350 gram reduction will most likely achieve a C/D cup on you.  You should discuss your goals with your surgeon.  Some women want to be as small as possible, others want to remain large and full figured so as to remain well proportioned.  good luck.

Beverly Friedlander, MD
Short Hills Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction will leave you with a "size nice" result

+2

A good friend of mine who is now retired used to answer patients when they asked what size they will be with a simple answer: "Size nice."  That is the case for you as no cup size can be predicted but that amount should be able to give a nice symptomatic improvement but leave enough for a nice shape.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Breast Reduction and Resulting Cup Size?

+2

Thank you for the question and congratulations on your decision to proceed with breast reduction surgery;  it is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform.

Unfortunately, no plastic surgeon is able to predict exactly what cup size you will be after breast reduction surgery. As you know, cup sizes vary depending on who makes the bra; this makes discussing cup size an inaccurate way of communicating your goals. 
Also, every patient's chest width varies;  if the patient has a wide chest wall it may not be possible to achieve a smaller width  or cup size.

In my practice I use goal pictures to communicate with patients.  With this technique patients are able to demonstrate what they are trying to achieve and what type of looks they do not like as well.   The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
 I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible. 

Breast size after breast reduction

+1

You will still likely have at least a C cup with the removal of 350 grams. This is only an approximation though. Good Luck.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Patient is showing a picture of her breasts and asks what size she will be after 350 g reduction.

+1
You are describing symptoms that are related to large breasts. You need a significant breast reduction to help your symptoms. There is also the issue of persistence of cosmetic results to consider. The larger the breast is made after a breast reduction the more the chance of recurrence of ptosis ( sagging ) after the surgery. I think you need a bit more than 350 g removed to get a good result and ideally you would want to end up with a c cup.

Farhad Rafizadeh, MD
Morristown Plastic Surgeon

What size should I expect after breast reduction?

+1

Hi,

Removal of 350grams per breast equals about a cup and a half. This ofcourse is a rough estimation as everyone is different. Please discuss expectations with your PS and make sure that you are both on the same page. Best of luck to you. Dr. H

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Full 36D Minus 350g Per Breast What Would That Leave Me With?

+1

I agree with my colleague who stated that you would need at least 350g removed from each breast to relieve your symptoms.

I usually ask my patients for guidance as to how much tissue they would like removed: just a small amount; a moderate amount to relieve symptoms yet leave some fullness; or as much as possible. I don't believe it is possible to be any more precise than that preoperatively.

If you fell in the 'moderate' category then I would guess that I would end up removing 450 to 500g, if I were doing your surgery.

As you may know, breast reduction has a very high rate of patient satisfaction.

All the best!

Eric Pugash, MD
Vancouver Plastic Surgeon

+1

Between a small D cup or a very large C cup. You realize that doing this operation just for insurance coverage is not a good idea. There are permanent scars and possible risks that should be fully explained to you.