Breast Augmentation Silliness?

Ok now this question may be a tad but silly but I've googled and can't find much of an answer, I'm getting my breast done dec 21st which obviously is close to the holidays so one question I have is can you even do your hair after surgery ? Or even reach to wash it? I ask because I've had girls tell me the doctor they used said no that it could mess with your stitches?

Activity

+1

It seems like everyone has their own protocol but even this varies depending on the surgery. If healing and swelling is at a minimum I allow my patients to shower a couple of days after the surgery

Daily Activities after Breast Augmentation

+1

These daily activities can likely be performed without issue, but always ask your plastic surgeon about these things.   The surgery has different incisions, different planes of placement, and some are more complicated and require additional techniques.

Postoperative instructions after breast augmentation

+1

A breast augmentation is a bit like an orthopedic implant procedure where the surgery is to get the implant positioned and then it has to heal properly there without being disturbed or the incision develop a problem. In general, breast augmentation (including the incision) takes two weeks to heal properly. During that period I use an elastic bra like a waterproof splint to hold the implant and breast in position for proper healing. Other restrictions such a sleeping position and arm use help this as well. 

Incisions do not do well with soaking or submersion in water. My incision in the inframammary crease is protected with special tape and the strap of the bra and showering in the bra the next day is okay, but no soaking and the bra stays on (at least the first week). 

Regarding arm use, the upper arm can be raised up to shoulder level and the muscles of the arm can be used as long as there is no strain across the pectorals muscle in the chest (released in it's lower attachments to get the implant under it). It doesn't make sense to stretch or strain this muscle during the two week healing. It is possible to take care of your own hair without stressing the pectoralis muscle but it's much easier to sit and put your hair back in the bowl and have someone else wash it as they do in a hair salon. 

I also tell patients that although they aren't sick and can look normal, they should "take the first week off" and not have to do anything or go anywhere. Planning and following instructions is key for elective surgical procedures. 

Scott L. Replogle, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Washing one's hair and breast augmentation

+1

it is best to follow your doctor's instructions. I let my patients shower the nest day.  I tell them to gently wsh their hair and limit exertional arm movement.

Breast silliness

+1

It is not a silly question at all.  Your surgeon will tell you when it is okay to shower and wash your hair.  I let my patients do this 2 days after surgery, but make sure you follow your surgeon's advice.  Merry Christmas!

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Washing Hair after Breast Augmentation

+1

There are two answers to your question. The first has to do with showering and washing your own hair. Typically, patients are able to wash their own hair once their doctor permits showering- this varies from practice to practice. You can expect some discomfort for a few days, but this subsides fairly quickly.

There is an alternative if your surgeon wants you to wait a few days, and that asking a friend or significant other to wash your hair in the sink or go to your hair salon.

Lawrence Iteld, MD

You can do your hair after breast augmentation

+1

The answer will vary, however we see little problem getting into the shower, washing and brushing hair after breast augmentation, even the same night. Soap and water will not hurt anything. You might be a bit sore and have to take it slow but it will not mess with the sutures.

Can you do your hair after surgery?

+1

Hi Chelsea,

Thanks for your question.  There are two parts to it.  If you mean 'can I wash my hair?' Then yes, but depends on your surgeon what type of washing.  We allow pt to shower after 48.  Sponge bath until then.  However, you can get your hair washed in a salon before then if you like.  As to raising your hand to your head, absolutely.  We have our patients raise their arms above their heads to stretch the pectoralis muscle, much like stretching your calf muscles after running a marathon.  There should be no damage to your sutures with this.  However, its always best to have this discussion with your surgeon.

Best Wishes!

Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation and Doing My Hair?

+1

Thank you for the unusual question.

What you will be able to do with your hair will depend on when you are able to shower after the breast augmentation procedure. You will find that the answer to this question will vary from one practitioner to another.

Worse case scenario, you can lean back and have your hair washed/done for you.

For more precise information, call your plastic surgeon's office.

Best wishes for a successful operation and “beautiful hair” during the holidays.