Breast Augmentation Nerves....Yikes? (photo)

Im 24 hours away from surgery it's on friday and I'm going for a Full D Small Double D, Im nervous that I will not receive the size that I want. im going with HP Saline Unders....MY surgeon said 300 cc's should get me to a full D but a previous surgeon said I was going to need 475 CC's to get there I'm just freaking out a little I've contacted the office and explained my fears but Im just wondering if 300 CC's is going to help me achieve my goal size! (B cup)

Augmentation

+1

It is not uncommon to be a little nervous prior to any procedure. I am sure you are doing well and happy

Size of breast implants for enlargement

+1

sorry for the delay,, see my previous replies

the cup and volume changes from 32, 34 , 36  so the volume may have been fine for a 32 cup but  a 36 would require 425 to 500  cc 

the diameter of the implant also determines hi profile or moderate along with the volumen

Breast Augmentation Nerves....Yikes?

+1

Well I am sure it is too late to respond but I might have recommended the 500 cc HP range. BTW what size did you get?? 

300 or 475 ml to go from B to D

+1

475 ml is a better estimate than 300 to go from B cup to a D cup.  I would not expect to get to DD from 475 ml.  Also, I never recommend a patient go to DD as you are at greater risk for back and neck problems.

Implant size

+1

Figuring out implant size is best done in the office with the doctor.  I have patients do a "baggy test" as well as home to confirm my discussion about implants.

Best Breast Implants For Me?

+1

Although some anxiety is quite “normal” prior to surgery, it sounds like you will benefit from more time spent in communication with your plastic surgeon. Online consultants'  opinions are not really helpful;  conversely, the variety of opinions you will receive may only cause more anxiety.

Further communication will be critical in determining  breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. 
In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “very natural”  or “C cup” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
 Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.

Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly,  allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals.  Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery.

Finding the perfect implant size

+1

Before going thru with the surgery you should call the office immediately and come in to try on implants.  175cc is a difference in opinions and you want to make the right decision.  It is hard to decide just by these photos.  You really have to try them on or in the mean time do a rice test at home.  

How to Perform the Rice Test
Use knee-high hose (or cut-off pantyhose), and, using rice, fill them with the desired amount of cc's. (Ziplock baggies are not recommended, due to the "pointed" corners of the bag.)  Once you have them filled, try them on under a sports bra.

The conversions below, which are approximate, will help you when doing the "rice test".

1 cup = 236cc
1/2 cup = 118cc
3/4 cup = 177cc
1/4 cup = 59cc
1/3 cup = 78cc
2/3 cup = 156cc
1/8 cup = 30cc
The amounts above can be used in different combinations to achieve the cc amount you desire.

It's important to remember that you should not solely rely on cc amounts. For instance, if you like the way 400cc looks on one person, that does not mean that 400cc will give you the same look. This is due to several things, including, but not limited to: amount of breast tissue, shape of the chest wall, deformities of the chest wall (such as pectus excavatum and pectus carinatum), and weight, to name a few. Basically, your existing breast tissue, and anatomy dictate how many cc's you will need. Therefore, you should do the rice test to give you an idea of how many cc's you may need to get the size you want. Again, this is just a rough estimate, as the "rice test" is not an exact science.

What's needed to go from a B cup to a D cup

+1

Hi ChelseaDawn, after seeing you photos I see you have a relatively broad chest with widely spaced nipples.  The question is do you just want to be a full D to DD or do you want to have great cleavage as well.  If you select the 300 HP salines those implants are very narrow in width and you will still have a sizeable gap between the breast.  You will not be a D+ cup with only 300 cc.  I would recommend you measure the width of your breast to determine what is the maximal width your chest can accomodate and then select the proper implant width and size to achieve your goals.  I would say at least a moderate plus or moderate silicone implant would better achieve your goals to be D cup or larger and still have enough width to span the gap between your chest so you do not have poor cleavage.  I see so many poorly planned breast augmentation that have a large gap between the cleavage simply because the surgeon did not explain how use of various type of implants will look different.  All implants of varying sizes can achieve the size you need but selecting the proper width will determine the closeness of the cleavage.  I'm going to estimate it will take at least a 500 cc MP+ implant to get you to your D to DD size. 

Benjamin Chu, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

What is the right size breast implant?

+1

Hi Chelsea,

Thanks for the question. 

Its hard to say from photos exactly, but you appear to be a C cup currently.  You also have a great shape to begin with.  The implant you choose should be matched to you body, tailored so to speak, rather than just a given cc size that will give you more volume.

There are a lot of considerations here, including what your breast diameter is and matching the width of the implant to your natural breasts, minus your tissue thickness.  This is implant to not get a breast that looks too narrow.  Once your ideal implant diameter is found, then projection can be determined by deciding how many cup sizes to go up.  From your description, I recommend using implant of your ideal width based on your breasts and using a MP+ size projection to get you to a full D/small DD.  Don't pay that much attention to cc's as they will take care of themselves once you have an implant that fits you the best.

Best Wishes,

Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Picking an implant size to meet your expectations

+1

Nothing creates more anxiety than implant size selection.  It is important to think size all the way through.  I carefully evaluate my patients and seek to understand their desires and goals.  Rather than getting hung up on size I want my patients to know that the implant selected for them matches their body characteristics and proportions.  If your desire is for a D or small DD and you are currently a B cup size then for every 200 cc of implant volume you would go up approximately 1 cup size.  From your photographs a 300 cc implant may be a bit small and narrow for your frame.  You may want to consider implants in the 425 to 475 cc range to meet your goals.  Reviewing photographs and expressing your desires are important.  Good communication is necessary.