Painless tooth with dead nerve - what are odds of later infection and how long?

Are there statistics or known odds of how long a dead tooth can stay problem-free WITHOUT having root canal? Frequent dental visits instead of root canal, to keep a watch for infection seems more sensible than jumping into a root canal. No dental work lasts forever. How often should I check-up and x-ray dead tooth to make sure not causing unseen problems? Dental industry has no incentive to let nature to try to resolve. There is far too little info available on 'no action' alternative.

How long will a dead tooth be pain free?

+2

Possibly you could be pain free forever. The reason its difficult to get % is the prognosis depends on when to injury occurred when you were yound or older. The development of the roots and nerve fully formed or partially formed and type of injury luxation, decay ect.  I suggest one radiograph every 12-24 months to make sure no infection is present good luck

Kevin Coughlin DMD, MBA, MAGD     CEO Baystate Dental PC

Springfield Cosmetic Dentist