Fruit to Fix Scars?

I've heard some people talk about papaya and pineapple being helpful is healing scars (and other body abrasions). Is there any science behind this, or just old wives' tales? Also I've heard of pineapple for bruising...

Bromelain and Scar Reduction

+2

Papaya and Pineapple both contain bromelain, an enzyme that assists in the breakdown of proteins.  The theory is that these powerful enzymes can remove scars by digesting the injured tissue.  There is some evidence that this works.  Application needs to be continuous and prolonged (several weeks). In addition, not all enzymes are equivalent.  Papain is the most beneficial but is not on the market in the US because of allergic reactions.  Like many home grown remedies, they are generally safe but of doubtful benefit.

Minneapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Pineapple, papaya and scars

+1

why use an untested formulation when the availability of topical silicone is now over the counter. just got to CVS and pick up some kelocote, scarguard, or equivalent topical silicone (ask your pharmacist).  don't waste your time or money. good luck, remember scars get better over time even without treatment and  use sunscreen.

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.