Any Info on Frotox?

I have been using botox for the last ten years with no side effects, but I do not feel entirely comfortable that it is a toxin and would welcome an alternative that is natural yet as effective. I heard about Frotox and was hoping it would be in the market soon. Anyone who knows when and where it will be launched? They said in press releases that it would be sometime in the beginning of 2013....

Frotox

+2

I have not seen any published studies to support that "Frotox" works or that it is comparable in efficacy to the neuromodulators like Botox. We are presently conducting the 10 year safety study on Botox in our practice, and its safety profile for cosmetic indications is extremely high.  I think time will tell if a device that is meant to work by freezing your nerves works the same and has as high a  safety profile. I would stick with neuromodulators for now.

San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Frotox, Botox, No-tox: what's in a name?

+2

There is a blog post on Real Self that answers your question (see the link below). Frotox uses liquid nitrogen injections to freeze the nerves that go to the muscles which are normally targeted with Botox. There are other versions of the idea in testing, such as Myoscience, but none of these is available in the U.S. and they are not used the same way as Botox. There are very few products in the market with as good a safety record as Botox, which has been in use for more than 20 years on millions of patients.

Richard Baxter, MD

Info on Frotox

+2

If you've been using Botox for that long and are happy, I'm confused as to why you'd switch to something that won't have the same efficacy rates, or safety measures. I agree that the word "toxin" gets a bad rap, and it was a marketing decision to use that word when it was approved 12 years ago. Remember that even if things are "natural" compounds and they are made in a lab, they are chemical formulations of something natural. And therefore, they are chemicals just the same as Botox would be!

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Toxins aren't all bad

+2

The word toxin gets a bad rap.  There's lots of talk on the internet and in health food stores about getting rid of all these toxins.  However, many very helpful and even life-saving medications are "toxins" (i.e. nearly every chemotherapy drug) and any medication, even over the counter or natural, can be toxic in the wrong amount.  Drugs should be judged by their efficacy and side effect profile.  Botox is very effective and safe in the right dose, as you seem to know having used it for 10 years. Back when Botox was originally marketed, it could have just as easily been called a neuromodulator, rather than a neurotoxin, which would accurately describe what it does and not be as scary.  Hindsight is 20/20.

Matheson A. Harris, MD
Salt Lake City Oculoplastic Surgeon

Frotox appears to be PR fluff.

+2

First, seriously doubt that Allergan, the makers of BOTOX would be very happy with a product that does something like BOTOX, marketed under the name Frotox, which is clearly intended to confuse the public.  The press releases suggest that this is some type of cold based service that weakens muscles coming soon to market.  Don't hold your breath.  With no before and after pictures, this may be some type of marketing trial ballon.  It is clearly untested and unproven and sometimes these stories prove to be complete, let's call it marketing hyperbole.

Info on Frotox

+2

I'm sorry, but I have not heard of any information in regards to Frotox.  However, if you have been using Botox for ten years with no problems, I'm not sure why you would switch to something else.  All medications are potentially toxic in the correct doses.  Something as simple as Tylenol can be toxic if enough is taken.  The important aspect of using any drug is using the correct dose.  The amount of Botox used for cosmetic purposes is very safe (as you have seen for yourself).  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

I think you mean BROtox, not FroTox or Botox

+1

I think you are confusing FroTox with BROtox and not Botox. Stick with Botox as you have been getting it for 10 years and your friends and foes will love and envy your looks.

Hratch Karamanoukian, MD, FACS
Buffalo General Surgeon