Front Veneer and Horrible Swollen Gums. Options?

Amost 2 years ago I had 1 veneer put on my very front tooth. It was perfect for the first year or so- the next 12 months I had a lot of bleeding, sensitivity, and swollen gums on that tooth which in turn effects the surrounding 2 teeth. Dentist wasn't sure whether it was reaction to cement, so he performed open flap surgery. Gum healed and then it developed again. Is it possible there is a margin when cemented on? How do I heal my gum when redoing it? Not sure gum will heal while wearing temp?

Gum tissue problem around a veneer

+1

Persistent inflammation around a cemented restoration that is not metallic is unlikely to be an allergy.  It's more likely that the veneer is too thick where it meets the tooth or is too deep under the gum.  It may be necessary to replace the veneer in addition to shortening the gum and underlying bone around where the veneer meets the tooth to prevent this from recurring.  You may need to see a specialist (periodontist) or seek an opinion from another dentist with alot of experience in esthetic work.

Ontario Cosmetic Dentist

Gum irritation and swelling around a veneer could be a design problem.

+1

Continued swelling and inflammation around a veneer could be the result of a problem with preparation design. It is very important that the "prep" for a veneer does not impinge upon an important parameter known as the "biologic width" near the gum and surrounding bone. Biological width is the distance between the veneer margin and the bone, and a violation of this, in effect the veneer being prepped too deep into the "gum pocket" can result in continued inflammation and swelling of the gum tissue around the veneer.

Manhattan Cosmetic Dentist

Something in the veneer is irritating gum

+1

A properly fitting and bonded veneer should not cause this type of swelling. An allergic reaction is possible but rare with non-metal restorations. I assume you did not have this problem prior.

A possibility is a bulky veneer or overhang margin (common with lumineers). Also, if the veneer is sunk too deep under the gum, it will casue chronic inflammation due to what is called "biologic width violation".  This means that the margin is too deep under the gum and the gum doesn't like it.

Excess cement is also another possibility but would have been found during the flap procedure.

This is not healthy and can cause long term problems so I suggest you get it resolved. Maybe see a gum specialist (periodontist).

Good luck

Dr. T

Miami Beach Cosmetic Dentist

Front veneer and swollen gums

+1

It is very hard to diagnose your problem without seeing photos, X-rays, and a visual exam with probing. That being said, a properly contoured and fitting veneer should NOT cause gum disease.

New York Cosmetic Dentist