Front tooth broken by accident (was hit by a racquet), is crown/root canal necessary?

Two front teeth injured by trauma. One (left) severely (dentist say lost about half of the visible tooth), one (right) chipped but with possible laceration (not sure if that was the term the dentist used) to the root.The right one feels longer than before when I bite down.The dentist saw the X ray and see minor movement in the root, say wait 3 days and see if root canal is necessary. Shall I do crown without doing root canal first? Dentist say root canal may be necessary in the near future.

Crowns with or without root canals?

+1
Based on your photo alone, I would highly recommend that you get a root canal on your "left" tooth. It is severely fractured and I fear that even though it may feel okay now, the root will likely die and discolor the crowned tooth later.
As for the tooth on your "right" with the potentially fractured root, I would recommend a root canal on this tooth as well. I would hate for you to get a crown and then have to get a root canal through the crown or have the crown removed to get a root canal. If you were my patient, I would recommend that I root canal both teeth prior to placing the crowns. Good luck and I hope this helps. Follow me if you have more questions.
Sarah Thompson, DMD

Saint Louis Cosmetic Dentist

Evaluate for root canal

+1
It is likely that #9 will need a root canal, either now or in the near future.  If it were my tooth, I would do it now before having to endure severe pain and bone loss from the infection.  A crown is likely the best restorative option, as a filling will not last long enough for the effort and investment required.

Lance Timmerman, DMD
Seattle Cosmetic Dentist

Will my broken tooth need a crown and root canal?

+1
Time will tell, but if necessary, it is better to do the root canal first, before your dentist places a crown.
My advice is that he first place a temporary filling to cover the exposed dentin (part of the tooth that has nerves) and then wait for some healing.  Then, before proceeding with the crown, have your tooth tested "for vitality" (i.e. make sure your tooth nerve isn't dying or has already died).  This can't be done with x-rays alone and an endodontist (root canal specialist) is usually the best dentist to do this type of testing.
If a root canal is being done, your dentist will probably also recommend a "post and core" to strengthen your tooth and give it more support for the crown that will be placed over it.  However, I highly recommend that your dentist NOT place a silver colored metal post, as the best type of post is a tooth-colored fiber post.  The advantages of this kind of post is that it doesn't discolor the tooth and tooth, it bonds well to the inside of the tooth (less chance of it coming out later along with the crown), and it is very strong.  The fiber in these posts is similar to Kevlar fiber, that is often used in bullet proof vests!

Norman Huefner, DDS
Laguna Niguel Cosmetic Dentist