From Your Experience, How Soon Can a Cartilage Graft from Septum or Scar Tissue Begin to Soften or Resorb Some?

8 months post-op and still have a little swelling mostly on right tip and supra tip area. I have thin skin. An underlay graft was placed under right tip cart. and a sliver of cartilage where the soft tissue triangle is. I have some pinkness of the skin, which used to be red, in that same area. R-tip cart. is pushed against skin and looks white. It looks odd,a bit sharp and a little high. My Surgeon said it could be normal healing scar tissue or graft; But it can soften on its own over time.

+1

I try to avoid cartilage grafts or implants unless absolutely necessary due to this issue of visibility and skin change.  The cartilage graft can be removed, altered and replaced, or additional material grafted.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Resorption of Ear Cartilage Graft in Nose

+1

If this is cartilage it is unlikely that it will soften or absorb 8 months after surgery. A minor revision will probably be necessary because any irregularity is more obvious in patients with thin skin.