From 272lbs to 189lbs, Do I Need a Breast Lift and Reduction? (photo)

I am 5'4 , a year ago I weighed 272 currently at 189. My breast use to be a 44ddd, about 2 weeks ago I went to Victoria secret and was measured at a 38ddd. As of the past 3-4 weeks I've been having some minor back, neck and shoulder pains almost daily. I am going to contact my primary doctor Tuesday due to the holiday and let him know what's going on. When I was heavier I never experienced any of these issues and now it's almost like routine. I have United health Care as my insurance provider.

From 272lbs to 189lbs, Do I Need a Breast Lift and Reduction?

+2

Based upon the posted photos you would benefit from a lift/reduction vs a reduction/lift. Removing too much breast tissue would make you look out of proportion. Plus lifts are not covered benefits from health insurance carriers. Best to be seen by a boarded PS in this insurance plan. 

Breast reduction vs. lift

+2

You certainly have significant breast sagging.  From your photograph it is not possible to tell how heavy your breasts are.  A breast lift will certainly fix your problem.  You will need to be seen by a plastic surgeon and be evaluated if you are seeking insurance coverage for a breast reduction.   The main difference between a lift and a reduction is that a reduction removes a significant amount of breast tissue.  Most insurance companies use a formula, based on height and weight, to determine medical necessity for a breast reduction.  

Breast reduction includes a lift

+2

The reduction pattern will not only reduce the breast to improve your comfort, but will include a lift to bring the nipple up and centered on the breast above the breast fold. Your surgeon should be able to obtain a predetermination from your insurance concerning possible coverage.

Breast Reduction/Lifting Candidate?

+2

Congratulations on your significant weight loss; you should be very proud of this accomplishment. At some point, you may be an excellent candidate for breast reduction/lifting surgery. Best to do this operation once you have achieved a long-term stable weight.

When the time is right, seek consultation with board certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience helping patients in your situation. Communicate your goals carefully.  You may find the attached link helpful to you as you learn more about breast reduction surgery.

Breast Lift or Reduction

+2

A breast reduction includes a lift also. In your case, you may be better off having some breast tissue removed. You can discuss this with a Board Certified plastic surgeon. Be sure to check if your insurance policy covers breast reduction surgery (some don't) and if you have the symptoms that would allow coverage.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS
Ohio Plastic Surgeon