What Can I Do About Severe Scarring From Laser Used for Acne Treatment on a 14 Y/O?

Three years ago doctor had his tech do 2 laser treatments on my 14 year old daughter. He advertised this in a brochure in his office as a replacement for accutane. She is permanently and severely scarred from this the procedures. Rolling, icepick scars every where the laser touch she has scarring. She had black spots on her skin after the laser and broke out in seere cystic acne. Is there any thing we can do to help with these scars? One doctor said this is permanent. 

Acne Scarring and worsening from laser for a 14 year old

+1

Pictures would help to see what has happened. The black spots could be hyperpigmentation that is not medically considered a scar. You could improve the situation but it really depends. A consultation with a few experts would give you a better idea. There are many options.

Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Treatment For Severe Acne Scarring

+1

I’m sorry to hear about your daughter and the experience you’ve had. When pursuing these types of treatments, it is of the utmost importance to be sure you select a certified and experienced physician with proven results. Lasers are extremely powerful and must be applied to precise levels in the skin. In addition, three years is a lifetime in laser technology. There are certainly newer laser therapies available that should effectively treat her acne and resulting scars. I would have to see her for a consultation to know how to proceed, but would put her on a course of treatment possibly involving a combination of medication and phototherapy or the Spectra laser, followed up by scar removal using the Fraxel Dual or Fraxel Repair laser.

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Hello

+1

In our practice the lasers we do is Dot Laser, Profractional C02 laser, micro laser peel and or VI peel for very mild acne scarring. If you go to our website you can read about each procedure and you can kind of determine what would benefit you the best. You have quite a few options for acne scars depending on how deep they are.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS