Friends Say my Nose is Beakish. Should I Get Rhinoplasty? (photo)

I've never been a fan of my nose. I honestly think its a little too pointy. The other day someone joked and said it made me kind of look like a cute bird but that it's not big. I'm confused. Advice please :/

Friends say I need a rhinoplasty

+4

The reality is that it doesn't matter what your friends say. I hear comments like this everyday, and it really upsets me. What right does anyone have to tell someone else what "they" need. I think it's rude. The real question is, "how do you feel about it?" If the the answer is that you are ok or happy with it, then the answer is , no, you should't have it. If your answer is yes, then consult with a facial plastic surgeon or a plastic surgeon who performs rhinoplasty frequently.

Web reference: http://www.drbustillo.com

Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Do I need a rhinoplasty?

+3

Thank you for your question and for providing the photos. I think that your feelings about your nose are the most important thing. That being said, it never ceases to amaze me what others will say.

No nose is perfect and and ideally, your nose should match the rest of your face. On your pictures, there are a couple of things that could be improved that would address the issues that you mention. The bridge of your nose is a bit high, which creates an outward curve and pushes your tip down. This is making the beakish look that you mentioned. This could be improved by simply lowering and reshaping the bridge or dorsum of your nose to create a better profile. At the same time, your tip could be reshaped to give your nose more balance. This would remove the pointy appearance that bothers you. 

All of this could be done during a rhinoplasty. This is an outpatient procedure with limited recovery time. I would suggest contacting a board certified plastic surgeon in your area to discuss this more fully, but everything that bothers you about your nose can be improved.

Best of luck with your nose.

Jeff Rockmore

Albany Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty is a personal choice

+2

Changing the shape of your nose is a personal decision. When someone comes into my office and states they are happy with their nose, I advise them against surgery.   Do not feel you need to change your nose for your friends. If you are happy it is best not to have any surgery.

Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Is a "Nose Job" right for me?

+2

You should NEVER have Cosmetic Surgery based on OTHER people's opinions. With the exception of my daughter (of course), few of us are perfect. It never ceases to amaze me as I sit among hundreds of my colleagues in a Plastic Surgery meeting just how many of them could benefit from undergoing surgical improvement. But, it does not matter. The only person whose opinion matters in this regard is YOURS. How much does your nose bother you? if it bothers you a lot - YES - we CAN make it look prettier.

You appear to have an over-developed hump of the cartilage of the middle nose and a somewhat bulbous tip. BOTH of them can be improved with a rhinoplasty.

Good Luck.

Memphis, TN

Teased by friends about nose

+2

This question strikes to the core of cosmetic surgery.  Yes, your nose can be changed, but allowing your 'friends' to undermine your self-confidence and cause you to seek out surgery is a compromise you should not make.  Do not undergo rhinoplasty to please others.

Rhinoplasty for a pointy nose

+2

Thanks for the questions and photos. If you are bothered by the "pointiness" of your nose, this can certainly be corrected with a rhinoplasty. Your profile is convex, or curved, which I believe is what is giving you that "beak-like" look your friend had mentioned. This could be straightened or lowered to whatever extent you desire. I would recommend seeking a rhinoplasty specialist who performs computer imaging, as you could see if you like the look of your nose if it were made a bit straighter along the bridge. The overall shape of your tip is quite good so I wouldn't recommend changing the tip cartilages dramatically. 

Best regards,

Dr. Mehta

Web reference: http://www.mehtaplasticsurgery.com/rhinoplasty/

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and Tip Concerns

+1

Refining and repositioning the tip with refinement of the dorsum will provide the changes you may be seeking.  Find the plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties each year.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Web reference: http://www.hughesplasticsurgery.com/Rhinoplasty.php

Decision to undergo rhinoplasty

+1

The decision to undergo cosmetic rhinoplasty can be done to improve your self image and only if your nose bothers you. Do not have a rhinoplasty surgery for someone else.  If you were to do the rhinoplasty, shaving down the bony and cartilaginous hump of the nose would be performed along with narrowing the tip to be less bulbous and projecting.  For noses similar to yours, please review our rhinoplasty photo gallery.  This surgery can be performed by closed rhinoplasty technique and will take about an hour and a half under general anesthesia.

Rhinoplasty for a beakish nose

+1

Hi.  Yes, you have a droopy tip with a dorsal hump which can look like a beak.  Your tip is also wide.  All of these issues can be addressed with rhinoplasty.  I think that the surgery would make a positive difference.

Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

+1

It is really up to you to decide whether or not you like the apperance of your nose. If it bothers you then go for a consultation.