Just Downsized, Should I Explant Before Healing Begins? (photo)

I feel like downsizing was waste of money since I still feel huge. 5'5" 120lbs 32A 05/12 silicone 450HP-300HP 04/13. i didn't explant bc afraid of loose skin. I measured 450's as 9", 300's as 8." I hate boobs on me. Should I ask him to explant them since incision is still fresh? We surgeon is a PS, original surgeon was not. 300's large implants? still look too big? Also, I have severe hypertrophic scarring so waiting to explant next year may increase odds of lift which of good bc of scarring.

Still Too Big after Downsizing of Breast Implants?

+2

I am sorry to hear about your frustrating experience. Based on your description of “feeling huge” and “hate boobs on me”, it is very likely that you will be happier without breast implants. However, given your history and with the goal of avoiding additional breast surgery (if at all possible), I would suggest that you give yourself a few months physically and emotionally to “settle down”. It is doubtful, in my opinion, the breast lifting will be necessary regardless of when the breast implants are removed.

Best wishes with your decision-making.

Breast implant result

+2

Personally, I think you have a great result!  Your breasts are a nice shape and size.  Since this is your second operation, DO NOT rush into another operation right away!  Wait and think about what it is you really want so that if you do undergo another procedure, you will be happy with your decision.  I would not re-operate on you for 6 months.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Give it more time!

+2

You have a nice result, but you don't seem to want larger breasts. So why did you choose breast augmentation in the first place? 

You will probably not need to have a lift, even if you take them out. It is too soon to tell what your final opinion of your result will be. Body image opinions will change with time. Give it at least 6 months before making a decision. Your most recent surgery is about one month old and you cannot assess if you will have bad scarring so soon.

Your actual measurements would be helpful in deciding your implant style, but based on your desires a moderate profile or moderate profile plus might have been a better choice.

Give it more time!

John Silverton, MD
Stockton Plastic Surgeon

Implant dissatisfaction

+2

It sounds like a lower profile lower volume implant may have been what you wanted, but being a "Monday morning" quaterback doesn't help.  Tough choice.

+2

This does look like a result with which most surgeons and patients would be pleased, but that doesn't solve your problem. 

My inclination would be to remove the implants, though switching to a smaller and less projecting implant might have given a more satisfying result for you. Discuss all options with your surgeon. 

Still Too Big

+2

I agree with Dr. Rand.  I think it was imprudent to stick with HP implants for your revision (not your fault of course, you were just the patient entrusting us with your care!).  I'd hate to see you give up and explant, considering you could have a very nice result with the right implant size and profile.

Dimensional planning is crucial in determining where to go from here.  Looking at your photos is also very helpful.  Knowing the dimensions of your current 300 cc HP implants (diameter = 11.1 cm), an intermediate profile implant of similar diameter or slightly smaller would work out nicely for you: 225 cc (10.9 cm) or 200 cc (10.5). One small issue is the lateral aspect of your pocket which may need a minor closure to ensure that the implant stays centered on your chest and does not drift over to the side.

I'm not entirely sure of what you said about waiting, but a breast lift would not be good for you, especially since you will not need a lift after downsizing again, explanted, or if you waited any amount of time in the foreseeable future.  Your hypertrophic inframammary scar should just be excised and closed precisely, then taped for a prolonged period of time to minimize the risk of recurrent thickening.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Downsize and still unhappy

+2

Downsizing 150 cc should have made a visible difference in your breast.  Your photos show an excellent cosmetic result, but if that result is not the real you it is fair to question whether you should indeed have implants. A further reduction to say 150cc might make the implant too small to fuss over. If you are sure (all will say wait) get them out. A lift is unlikely. Bottom line, be sure about what you feel is best for you.

Downsize Implants?

+2

Based on your pictures, you seem to have a nice result. You can remove the implants at any time. So it may be better to wait a while before you decide to remove them. Perhaps you will get used to your new size in a few months. If not, they can still be removed. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Not sure the problem

+2

HP implants may be the problem here as they are meant to look more full and less natural.  Your photos however show results that many would be very happy to have!  Also, it doesn't look like you are anywhere near needing a lift if you explant so I'd just try to clam down, ask yourself why you did this in the first place and if in fact you haven't achieved something positive. Otherwise, I'd either go down to moderate profiles or just explant.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS