Traveling for an Overnight Wine/dinner Party 5 Weeks Post Op Tummy Tuck? I Would Have to Drive the Four Hours There and Back

I am scheduled for a tummy tuck, with muscle tightening and liposuction March 27, 2012. My sister is law is having her bachelorette party on May 4th at a winery in Santa Barbara. I am curious if I will be able to go, or what you think is the probability I can attend. She is trying to make reservations and needs a head count. I am 5'8, 148 lbs, overall perfect health and in pretty good shape.

Travel after tummy tuck

+3

Hopefully the hardest thing about your trip will be deciding how many people get to see your result.  Because believe me, once the group of girls hears you've had a tummy tuck, they'll all want to see it.  A few glasses of wine, a few laughs, and before you know it you'll be in the restroom showing someone something.  That's just the way it goes when you love your result.  Will this happen in your case?  I sure see this happening with my patients.  I had a patient travel 4 hours in a car 4 weeks after a lower body lift.  She did quite well.  So, if your surgery goes well and you're healing well, it's probably okay to go.  But ask your surgeon first because that surgeon knows much more about you than any of us do.  Importantly, though, you should know that patients are at risk for blood clots for 6 weeks after this type of surgery.  So, sitting in a car for 5 consecutive hours will increase your chances of blood clots developing in the veins behind your knees and in your lower legs.  If you do go, while you're in the car consider wiggling your toes and ankles frequently.  You should probably also get out of the car every hour-and-a-half and walk around for 5 or 10 minutes (don't just go into the roadside McDonald's and sit and eat that delicious Quarter Pounder!).  You'll probably be wearing some type of compression around your abdomen at that point after surgery.  That compression might increase your risk of blood clots if you're sitting for hours at a time; ask your surgeon if maybe you should leave that compression off during your travel time.  Having said all of this, probably your biggest risk is a loss of some modesty, because I'm guessing you're going to end up showing some skin to a number of women you hardly even know!

Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Bacholerette Party After Tummy Tuck

+2
Thank you for your question. If all goes well and your recovery is uneventful, there is a good chance you can attend.  You will likely have some residual swelling and discomfort that may make a long drive uncomfortable.  Consider riding with a friend to be on a safe side so that you can enjoy the festivities.  All the best.

George Bitar, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Yes, go and have fun

+2

You should be able to go on the this trip and feel fairly good 5 weeks after a tummy tuck.  After 21 days, you should be mostly outside the danger zone for a blood clot, however, I would stop every two hours on your drive and walk for 5 or 10 minutes just to be sure and to keep your circulation going.  You should be able to do most activities, but it would still be too early for exercise or heavy lifting.

Best regards,

Dr. Lane Smith 

Lane Smith, MD

Traveling After Tummy Tuck (Abdominoplasty)

+2

Your surgeon will give you guidelines concerning travel. I typically do not recommend travel of long durations in the early recovery period (1-2.5 weeks) because the immobility of the long trip combined with your general decreased overall mobility during the early recovery period increases your risk for a DVT (blood clot).  This a very serious complication and prevention is the key.  If your recovery is uneventful, five weeks after the surgery will be fine but again your surgeon has the last word on this.

Enjoy your trip. Santa Barbara is wonderful!!

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Tummy Tuck Recovery

+2

After a Tummy Tuck, most patients are back at their normal activities before five weeks post-op. As long as you are not carrying your sister-in-law, you should be in good shape. Best person to ask is your plastic surgeon. They have much more information to go on, and can better personalize their response to your specific situation. Be safe.

Joseph Mele, MD
Walnut Creek Plastic Surgeon

Most patients after abdominoplasty have resumed normal day-to-day activity two weeks after the operation.

+2

Without complications I see no reason why you could not attend a party five weeks after abdominoplasty. Nevertheless clear with your surgeon.

Activity level after Tummy Tuck/ Abdominoplasty

+2

Hello 'Luvmybabes', thanks for your question.  If things go smoothly, you should be able to go the bachelorette party at 5 weeks postop as long as the activity level and drinking are in moderation.  However, there is always possible risks and complications with any surgery, and noone can guarantee that you will have perfect results with a completely problem-free recovery.  As far as activity level goes, I usually tell my patients to start ambulation from day 1 to prevent blood clots and pneumonia.  At 3-4 weeks, patients are able to start light exercises, and at 6 weeks they are cleared to begin abdominal exercises.  If there are any wound healing issues or other problems, this can set back the activity level.  As long as it will not be too crazy, you should be able to attend the party if all goes well.  I recommend asking your plastic surgeon their thoughts as well.  Good luck!

-Dr.92660

Parviz Goshtasby, MD, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Recovery from tummy tuck

+1

Although there is no guarantee, you will most likely be able to attend the party without any problem. At five weeks post op tummy tuck, you will almost certainly be able to travel four hours by car. It would however, be a good idea to take a car break every few hours, get out of the car and walk around a bit to ensure good circulation in your legs and avoid vein clots.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Cosmetic Surgery is an Art and a Science

+1

5 weks after surgery is usually OK so long as you are not medicated. Discuss this with your surgeon. Best Wishes

Thomas A. Narsete, MD
Greenwood Village Plastic Surgeon

Travel after tummy tuck

+1

Usually the biggest concern for travel after TT is deep venous thrombosis or blood clots in your legs.  Usually it is safe to travel after 2 weeks, so you should be fine.  To be extra safe, I would advise you to stop, rest, and walk around a bit every hour or so..  Have a great time.

Mark A. Schusterman, MD