Non-surgical Removal of Scar Tissue?

I had a Macs face lift performed June 2010 and a second surgery performed July 2011 to tighten the neck area. (very happy with the results). I do have some scare tissue behind both ears. Based on a Dr's website it is possible to remove the scar tissue over time with enzymes taken on an empty stomach. Any second opinions as to the effectiveness of this non-surgical treatment for scar removal?

Non-surgical Removal of Scar Tissue?

+1

I am not aware of any oral medication that can be taken to improve a scar.  After a scar has matured it should be evaluated to see if scar revision is necessary.

Nonsurgical Removal of Scar Tissue

+1

If the scars are elevated or irritated or there is exuberant scar tissue, injections of several items may be helpful.  Oral ingestion of a substance is not a treatment of which I am aware.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Enzymes for scar revision do not work

+1

Thanks for your question. I have never in my medical experience heard of an oral enzyme reducing scar tissue. There are homeopathic remedies (e.g. Arnica montana) that have been proven to reduce bruising immediately after an intervention such as surgery or injectables. I would be skeptical of an oral medication though reducing scar tissue. Most surgeons will recommend waiting 9 months to 1 year before consdering scar revision surgery. one of the most common areas to have scars is behind the ears after facelift surgery because that is where the most tension usually is.

Best of luck

Sachin Parikh, MD

Sachin S. Parikh, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Oral enzymes have no effect on scar tissue.

+1

Taking enzymes by mouth to affect the outcome of the scar is ridiculous. After the scar has remodeled, which will take months, a revision will be necessary if it is unacceptable.

Scars

+1

I am not aware of any enzyme preparation taken orally that will target specific scars. I would certainly recommend more research to avoid possibly wasting money.

Gregory Sexton, MD
Columbia Plastic Surgeon

Scar therapy

+1

Time heals most scars. For simple mild scars, topical products (such as silicone sheets or mederma cream) can help.  For thicker/larger scars, there are injectable drugs (steroid, 5FU) that are much stronger than topical products.  See chapter I wrote entitled "Postoperative wound modulation in aesthetic eyelid and periorbital surgery".

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

TREATMENT OF SCARS

+1

Most scar treatments are applied directly to the skin or an injection into the scar to break up the scar tissue.  I am unaware of any enzyme taken orally that will resolve scars.

Todd B. Koch, MD
Buffalo Plastic Surgeon

Non-surgical Removal of Scars- Too Good To Be True

+1

Let's think carefully about this. If enzymes taken orally really did dissolve scar tissue, every surgeon would provide them as a part of their surgical package. If it were only so easy. Stay up late at night and you will find a huge number of infomercials all saying that they do the same thing. Sorry, but none of them work. Believe me, if this worked you wouldn't have to ask the question on RealSelf, everyone (including you) would already know that it worked. As far as your scars are concerned- once you have a scar you will always have a scar. While you can't get rid of it, you can make it less noticeable.  Steroid injections will often smooth a raised scar. There are lasers that work really well to smooth, soften, and take the color out of a scar (probably your best option). And there are now some topical ointments that can subtly improve the appearance of a scar. My recommendation? Don't waste your money. See a reputable plastic surgeon for some options that might really work.

Michael R. Menachof, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dietary enzymes to reduce scar after facelift

+1
There is no proven oral enzyme supplement which will reduce the scar behind the ear after facelift. If you did indeed see this on your surgeon's website it is a bit of a red flag.

Nonsurgical removal of scar tissue

+1

If the scars are thick and elevated, steroid injections into the scars should be tried. Nothing taken orally will work.

Peter T. Truong, MD
Fresno Oculoplastic Surgeon