I have deviated septum and crooked nose. What can I do to fix my nose?

When I was a week old I was dropped on my nose. Now ive noticed I can't breath out of the right side of my nose. I went to the doctor when I was approx. 10 years old. The doctor told me that I had a deviated septum but I couldnt get the surgery until I was older like 18. I'm now 16 and I cant breath out of the right side of my nose and my nose is very crooked. Plus I have a larger nose. I was wondering if I could get the deviated septum surgery and a rhinoplasty? At the age of 18 of course.

+1
Both the internal and external nasal areas that you described and would like improved can be addressed with a nasal surgery (rhinoplasty) and a septoplasty which are typically done at the same time. A natural appearing nose can be achieved when the procedures are performed by an artistic plastic surgeon with extensive experience in nasal surgery.

Keep in mind that following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you what to do without seeing photos and without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of each operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) or facial plastic surgeon (ENT) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Earliest Age for Septorhinoplasty

+1
Although there is no set "earliest age" for septorhinoplasty, I use a couple basic guidelines to determine if a young man or woman is a candidate for surgery.

• Has the patient grown in the last six months or has their shoe size changed. Patients who have not reached a plateau on their growth curve may still experience additional facial growth which can be disrupted by surgery on the nose.
  • Is the patient emotionally ready for cosmetic surgery?  Can they articulate what they don't like about their nose and what changes they would like seen made. What are their motivations for seeking these changes? Do they have a good support system in place to help them after surgery?
Speaking in generalities, girls can be ready for rhinoplasty by the time they are 14 to 16 years old while many boys should wait until they are 16 to 18 years old.

Surgery to fix your septum for breathing purposes can and should be performed at the time of a rhinoplasty to makes cosmetic adjustments to your nose.

Steven M. Daines, MD
Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Septorhinoplasty Consultation

+1
A consultation and direct examination will diagnose your deviated septum. A septorhinoplasty is a combined procedure. The "septo" portion is the portion addressing the deviated septum and function of the nose while the "rhinoplasty" portion will address the the aesthetic or cosmetic portion of the nose. During consultation digital imaging may be used to show you the proposed surgical result. If you decide to do this before the age of 18 you will need parental consult. A consultation and examination may be done now to help answer your questions and then a surgical plan may be put into place at a determined date depending on the maturity of your nose. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Nasal deviation

+1
All the consultants are saying the same thing so get to an expert in your area and be examined Your nose can be fixed!

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD
Brea Plastic Surgeon

Crooked Nose correction

+1
Crooked Nose with deviated septum can be corrected by a SeptoRhinoplasty operation ,select a surgeon who has experience in both aesthetic as well functional surgery of the nose.The age of operating is debatable some people feel 18 years while most feels after the onset of puberty it can be done at any time .For symptomatic patients we accept patients after 7 years of age.

Brajendra Baser, MS, DNB
India Facial Plastic Surgeon

16 Year Old with Crooked Nose and Breathing Obstruction

+1
If you are physically mature (14-16 in a lady and about 18 in a male) your deviated septum and crooked nose can be corrected. There may be additional causes of your breathing obstruction but all problems can be addressed with a septorhinoplasty. Consult with an experienced nasal surgeon.

Crooked nose and deviated septum can be repaired at same time

+1
Dear Lindsssssa
  • sorry to hear about you nose obstruction
  • sounds like you should see a surgeon who can examine your nose, nasal septum and airway
  • it was a good idea to wait until you have reached a mature face and height, but you may be a candidate earlier than 18
  • Schedule a consult when you are ready and the details of a possible surgery can be discussed with you and your parent(s) 
Best Wishes

Travis T. Tollefson, MD, MPH
Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

Deviated septum and crooked nose

+1
Both the deviated septum and the crooked nose can be addressed at the same time.  You need a thorough evaluation of your nose in order to assess what exactly is causing the difficulty breathing.  It may not just merely be secondary to a deviated septum.  Although a deviated septum is one reason to have difficulty breathing through the nose, there are other causes which need to be evaluated as well.  If you do have a deviated septum, it needs to be carefully examined to determine exactly where it is causing an obstruction.  The most critical area for examination is what is known as the nasal valve.  The slightest narrowing in this area can lead to breathing problems.  Lastly, age, alone is not a determining factor of when you can undergo a surgery.  The factor that is important is your growth pattern and facial growth.  There is no strict criteria for age when performing nasal surgery.  Each patient needs to be evaluated on an individual basis.     

Anthony Bared, MD
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Septorhinoplasty for the crooked large nose.

+1
Septorhinoplasty for the crooked large nose can be done to give you a straighter, smaller nose that has an improved airway. See an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon. 

septoplasty for deviated septum and rhinoplasty for crooked nose

+1
A septoplasty is performed when there is obstructing bone and cartilage blocking air flow in the back of the nose. This is performed for medical necessity, once it has been documented after an examination consultation by an ENT/ facial plastic surgeon.
To repair a crooked nose, medial and lateral osteotomies of the nasal bones are required along with resetting the nasal bones straight. Sometimes cartilaginous spreader graft is inserted underneath the concave upper lateral cartilage when the mid vault area of the nose is crooked as well. It is best to wait to age 18 for full growth before undergoing a septoplasty and a rhinoplasty. Both procedures can be performed together under one anesthetic with one recovery time, as an outpatient surgical procedure. For many examples, please see the link below.