Fresh Aloe on Tummy Tuck Wound?

Would it be fine to apply fresh aloe vera directly onto the wound to prevent scarring after a tummy tuck, while taking antibiotics? When I was younger, I had a third degree motorcycle muffler burn. Fresh aloe from my grandma's back yard was applied on the burnt area and after a few months, there was no trace of a wound. I was rather young and don't remember much so I will appreciate some more information on this miracle plant if applied directly on a tummy tuck wound. Thank you.

Aloe has little, if any proven value on wounds

+2

I hear stories about the value of aloe barbarensis on wounds from patients. Unfortunately, there is little scientific data to support the value of aloe vera on wound healing and scarring. Many of my patients swear it helped minimize the development of stretch marks during pregnancy as well. However, this has not been documented in the scientific literature.

It is not likely to be harmful if the product is clean and bacteria free. I would consult with you surgeon prior to applying this to your wound.

Use scar strips instead

+1

I like to use some type of silicone scar strip on tummy tuck incisions. After the incision is healed, about two weeks, we advise patients to use these strips. The strips stay on for about three weeks at a time, then you remove and replace them. I advise patients to use them for about three to six months for best results. Remember that scar healing is a long process, so whatever you use, stick with it for a long while.

Elizabeth A. Kinsley, MD
Covington Plastic Surgeon