Free Rhinoplasty Revision?

I had rhinoplasty done about 13 days ago. My cast was removed exactly one week after my surgery. Initially, I really liked my nose. It was very swollen, of course, but I was able to look past that and was pleased, overall. A few days have past now and it almost seems as if the hump that was removed is creeping back up. I called the doctor's office and was told that if I still wasn't pleased in 6 months, they would fix it for free. Is it common for revision to be free? Should I take their word?

Trust your Rhinoplasty surgeon

+2

IMHO, you should not be thinking about Revision Rhinoplasty this soon after your first Rhinoplasty.  I understand that this is difficult, but give yourself 4-6 months for the nose to heal so you can see the final result.  I believe that patients need to trust their plastic and cosmetic surgeons and you should trust your Rhinoplasy surgeon....you must have or you wouldn't have chosen him/her in the first place.

Free revision

+1

You are getting way ahead of yourself. At 13 days you are still way to swollen to make any judgements or conclusions especially about bumps or lumps. Your doctor's office may have been just trying to reassure you or they may have that policy but you need to slow down right now and try and enjoy the positive thing you have done for yourself.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Free Rhinoplasty Revision

+1

Are you asking if you "should take their word", referring to the office of the surgeon that you selected to operate on your face 13 days ago? It is impossible for you to evaluate your nose at this time. Please let your nose heal before considering revision surgery. Your surgeon is obviously willing to work with you. 

Free rhinoplasty revision

+1

IMHO, it is too early in the healing process to really have any idea of exactly what the result will be when all the swelling is resolved and the remodeling of nasal tissues is complete.  I tell my patients that it takes an entire year before they will see the final result from their procedure and I would guess that most experienced rhinoplasty surgeons would say it takes at least 6 months to a year to completely heal.  It is common in the profession to perform revision rhinoplasty procedures at little or no cost if they become necessary.  Sometimes surgeons will not charge the patient but will pass the facility (supplies) costs and anesthesia costs onto their patients.  Each surgeon is different. Be patient and I do not see any reason to not trust the surgeon you trusted to perform the procedure in the first place.  Good Luck

Adam D. Stein, MD
Raleigh-Durham Facial Plastic Surgeon

13 days post-op

+1

Thurteen days post surgery is still very early for you to judge the results of your surgery - be patient and follow up with your surgeon

Sam Naficy, MD

Nasal Revision

+1

You need to cover the mirrors in your house and stop looking at your nose. There is always more swelling after the splint comes off. It takes a full year for the swelling to go down and the nose to soften and to have the final result. As it is not  uncommon for nasal revisions to be needed for minor problems post op, many good nose surgeons do not charge for the minor revision. There may be a small charge for anesthesia or an OR fee but for a minor touch up there is no specific charge.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Free Rhinoplasty Revision?

+1

Dear mg120:

Free revisions are at the discretion of your surgeon. Even if it free, sometimes there is a fee associated with the operating room and the anesthesia.

As far as taking their word, you have to trust your physician, if you have doubts about what will be done, consult with another surgeon.

Michel Siegel, MD

Michel Siegel, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon