Freckles Form 3 Months After Mildly Atypical Mole Removal?

My 14 year old daughter had a 3-4 mm mole removed from her thigh by shaving. The biopsy showed it to be mildly atypical. 3 months later we went into the dermatologist for follow up and there are 3 freckles each about 1 mm where the mole was removed. One is darker than the others. He said to watch it, but I wonder if we should just do a deeper cut to be on the safe side? I am concerned. Thank you.

Mole removal

+1

I would recommend that you see your physician for a complete surgical excision of the entire lesion.  

Freckles after mole removal

+1

When a mole is removed by shave, it is likely that part of the lesion is left behind deep in the skin.  It sounds like what you are seeing the mole growing back.  Given the size, the entire lesion could like be removed with a small punch excision requiring just a few stitches.  Most board-certified dermatologists should be able to perform this procedure.  Good luck!

Dina D. Strachan, MD