Can Pearl Laser Safely Remove Freckles Around Eyes?

I am covered in freckles and have red hair. I also have had BCC's removed in the past, and never allow myself to get sun burnt. I'm worried about the freckles that are very close to the eyes; could they be "zapped" safely with Pearl laser?

Pearl laser does not remove freckles..

+2

The Pearl laser is an excellent tool for removing discoloration from sun damage.  This does not include freckles.  Most patients who are dissatisfied with the Pearl have been treated for conditions for which the Pearl was not intended.

Pearl Laser

+1

That all depends on how deep they are.  We treat all up to the eyelash, but that does not guarantee that the spot will be removed.  We like the Co2 close to the eye as well.  The Pearl Fract. Is very bulky and not graceful around the eye.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Freckles and Pearl Laser

+1

All freckles are not created equal.... Brown spots and freckling caused by sun damage or exposure can be treated safely and effectively with the Pearl.  Eye shields are always used during treatment and can be adjusted to get as close as possible to the lash line.  Hereditary freckles (like the kind many red heads have had since early childhood) may not be effected by Pearl. Don't forget to always where sunscreen and reapply frequently if you are out for longer periods.  The key for you preserving your skin is prevention.  Keep an eye on any new growths that appear on your body and have them checked.  Catching something early is obviously best. 

Good luck!

Dr. Grant Stevens              

Grant Stevens, MD

Fractional CO2 better for you

+1

Pearl is very good for freckling caused by sun damage, but no laser does a great job permanently removing hereditary freckles. The fractional CO2 or dermabrasion, however, are your best options to reduce your risk of future skin cancers. Sunscreens daytime and retinoids at night are also good tools to protect your skin.

Eye shields can be placed under your lids to get more freckles around and near the eye safely.

Mary Lupo, MD
New Orleans Dermatologist