What is a Fraxional Co2 Laser?

I am interested in receiving treatment on a scar which was caused by a glass accident. I am not too sure what a fraxional co2 laser is, is it a mix of a co2 laser with a fraxional laser? How severe is this treament? Wondering whether it will be effective or not. Thanks

What is a fractional laser?

+1

Fractional lasers are newer technology. A traditional CO2 laser vaporizes ALL of the skin in the area of treatment. This creates a large, open wound that must heal from its edges and the hair follicles and sweat glands in the depth of the wound. This obviously takes time to heal and results in significant redness and potential for complications. A fractional laser vaporizes 20-40% of the skin in the treated area. This 60-80% of the skin is not vaporized allowing faster wound healing. The fractional laser does transfer energy and heat to the entire treated area resulting in rejuvenation and collagen formation. Fractional lasers are thus safer and result in less significant downtime. For this reason, most plastic surgeons have adopted fractional lasers over traditional fully ablative CO2 lasers. I hope this is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon