I Had Fraxil Resurfacing Done to my Neck Three Weeks Ago and my Neck is Still Very Red.

I had Fraxil resurfacing done to my neck three weeks ago and my neck is still very red. Also, my neck feels very tight, tingles and itches. It this common and how long till I should feel better?

Off face resurfacing

+2

Before fractionated resurfacing, it was contraindicated to treat areas off the face because of the paucity of pilosebaceous units which are responsible for wound healing.  You might recall seeing patients with a striking "line of demarcation" between the face and neck where the face was white and waxy compared to the untreated darker and mottled neck.  With the advent of fractionated ablative and nonablative lasers, treating off the face can be safely done but with several precautions.  For ablative fractionated lasers (Fraxel Re:Pair), I recommend treating both with more conservative fluences (depth) as well as lower densities.  In general, I treat the face at about 800 microns in depth with a 30% coverage density in 4 passes (2 vertical and 2 horizontal).  I treat the neck at about 600 microns with a 15 - 20% coverage in 2 passes.  More aggressive settings will result in prolonged postoperative healing, inflammation, and erythema.  For prolonged neck erythema, I have had some success with Aloe Vera gel.  The same concepts apply with the nonablative fractionated lasers such as the Fraxel Re:Store and Fraxel Dual.  Since these lasers are nonablative the complications and side effects are markedly diminished.

Downtime should be significantly minimized

+1

Thanks to the innovations of Fraxel Re:pair, downtime should be significantly minimized as compared to
other subpar treatment options. You should return to your treating doctor.

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Fraxel Resurfacing Recovery

+1

The neck is an area that needs a conservative approach.  At 3 weeks, if your skin is not returning to normal, I would certainly get back to see your physician. 

Joseph Campanelli, MD
Minneapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon