Fraxel Safe with Vitiligo?

I have a minor case of vitiligo. Or I have been told I have a minor case of vitiligo. I have small circular white spots across various parts of my body and a couple on my face. Would it be safe for me to undergo Fraxel even though I have vitiligo? Would Fraxel do anything to help the vitiligo?

Vitiligo patients can benefit from Fraxel

+2

Ironically, I treated a patient with longstanding vitiligo on the face with Fraxel to help even out her pigmentation and she had great results. Of course, this is only one patient.

We used low settings to only work on the pigmentation. I would recommend defining with your doctor what your are trying to achieve - texture improvement, stimulating collagen, evening out skin tone in order to decide if you would be a good candidate.

I would recommend that the first treatment be less agressive and plan on doing a series of 5 or 6. Remember that injury to the skin can also produce a loss of pigment or a new vitiligo spot.

I hope this is helpful.

Fairfax Dermatologic Surgeon