Is Fraxel the Best Choice for Sun Spot Treatment? (photo)

I am 43. I noticed sun spots on my cheeks in the last few years and they are getting darker with time. I did IPL treatments and one time of pearl laser treatment in the last two years. After both treatments, the sun spots got lighter in one week, but they grew back in two weeks, and looked darker. In the last recent one year, I am using Obagi's skin blenching products and they did whiten my sun spots to some degree. Can Fraxel get rid of my sun spots completely? Are there other better choices?

Fraxel for Sundamage...

+1

Fraxel Dual is a great option for treating you sundamage.  There is no cure for melasma and sundamage.  U will have to continue with skin brightening products even after the laser treatments and the use of sunscreen daily. 

Dr. Grant Stevens            Marina Plastic Surgery Associates       Marina del Rey, CA          The Institute

Fraxel treatments can be very effective against age and sun spots

+1

Thank you for your question and photograph. You are doing the right thing by using a prescription bleaching cream and avoiding sun exposure. A series of Fraxel treatments can be very effective in removing sun spots and age spots. Unfortunately, there is no way to permanently get rid of all pigmented spots. If you tend to form them, that will always be the case. Continuing to avoid the sun and use of bleaching creams under the supervision of a physician can help decrease their reappearance. 

James McMahan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Is Fraxel the best choice for sun spot treatment?

+1

Hi there,

There is no treatment that permanently removes sun spots.  Over time, sun spots will return.  There are several different treatment options to treat sun spots--creams and lasers.  IPL treatments can help lighten the sun spots but over time the sun spots will appear.  Most patients need at least 3 IPL sessions for improvement.  Fraxel treatments are also a good alternative.  At our office, we use the Fraxel Thulium treatment for brown spots and hyperpigmentation.  Most patients only need 1 treatment with the Fraxel Thulium for significant improvement of their sun spots.  Certain skin type patients need to pre-treat their skin with hydroquinone creams before the Fraxel Thulium.  Our patients also use antioxidant serums such as the Skinceutical CE Ferulic and Phloretin Serum to help brighten their skin and protect their skin from environmental radicals such as pollution or the sun.  And of course, patients who are prone to sun spots need to apply a good sunscreen daily such as the Elta MD SPF 47.

Hope this helps!

Lenore Sikorski, MD
Orange County Dermatologist

Cheeks

+1

IPL is a good treatment as are lightening agents. The overall results depend on how deep the pigment extends and what you do for sun protection afterwards. I use fractionated CO2 and that can make them worse even though skin texture is improved with some skin tightening

David A. Bray, Sr., MD