Would Fraxel Give Me the Same Results of As a Facelift?

My problem is that the outer sides of my eyebrows are starting to go south and give me that sad puppy dog look, and my cheeks are also going south, and I am starting to get really noticeable folds on the side of my nose.

I am 36 years old and am thinking about having a brow lift and mid face lift to correct this, but I would like to avoid having surgery.

Would Fraxel fix this and give me the same results of as a brow and mid-face lift? Would you recommend I treat these problems with Fraxel Re:pair or Re:store and what are the settings that you would use?

Thank you for your help.

Mike

When all else fails, that "sad puppy dog" look can work

+3

Hi Mike,

The key words in your question are that you would "like to avoid surgery". At 36 years old, Fraxel re:pair laser treatment will likely resolve your concerns without a scalpel, operating room, or anesthesiologist. The Fraxel repair laser does a great job in the midface giving a natural lift and youthful appearance. The "puppy dog" eyebrows are lifted, as well as improvement of the crepey skin of the upper and lower eyelids.

Fraxel will not give you the same result as a brow lift and midface lift. I personally do not perform these surgeries because I believe that the majority of brow lifts that I have seen look "funny" and don't last over time (which is a good thing for many patients since many brow lifts are asymmetric or over done).

Midface lifts do give excellent results when performed by skilled surgeons with a good aesthetic sense, but again I find that Fraxel repair laser treatment gives an excellent lift to the midface. Without surgery or Fraxel laser treatment the midface can be corrected very well with a natural result by using fillers alone (Restylane, Juviderm Ultra Plus, or Radiesse; or your own fat grafts).

There is an excellent patient diary of before and after pictures of a 46 year old gentleman that is available from Reliant, and can also be seen in a physician's office who performs the treatment.

In my practice I would most likely (after a complete consultation and evaluation of your face) treat your concerns with Fraxel re:pair. The settings have to be determined after examining your skin, but an average starting point is level 8 (30%) coverage at 30 millijoules.

If you decide to do nothing, my experience is that "the sad puppy dog" look is a real "chick magnet". Good luck and be well.

Fractionated CO2 Laser Resurfacing along with Sculptra may help to postpone need facelift

+2

There is no substitute for full facelift to defy force of gravity where there is significant sagging. However, for majority of people between 30-50's, combination of Fractional CO2 laser such as Fraxel Repair, Mixto, or ActiveFX along with Sculptra can help to postpone need for full facelift. Fractional CO2 laser can bring about tightening, smoothing out of facial texture, not to mention reduction of future skin cancer risks whereas Sculptra performed by trained physician injector can achieve subtle but effective lift by restoring volume strategically along important contours of the complexion, e.g. upper cheeks, eyebrows, temples, jowls.

William Ting, MD
Bay Area Dermatologic Surgeon