Difference of Fraxel Results Done at Dermatologist Vs Med Spa?

It is my face so I don't take this lightly. My question is: a Dermatologist quoted $1700 and a med spa have a Dec. special of 1/2 off so it would be like $500.

I just came back and I had the feeling it is a relatively new thing. She said she teaches doctors to use the laser. But I know they can get young inexperienced people to sell. So is experience a HUGE factor? Will it be safer but cost sooo much more with a Dermatologist?

Love to hear the opinions of people who have done the comparison and hear the results! Thank you:-)

Spa or physician for Fraxel

+2

Remember to check which Fraxel the spa is using. If it is not the Re:store, they are probably using Re:fine. The latter is a very superficial treatment. If it is Re:store, then the spa may provide you with a good result, but depending on what you wish to accomplish, a physician who is experienced with the Fraxel, might know better what settings to use to treat fine lines beter vs. dark spots vs. scars.

Fraxel Laser at Spa vs Dermatologist

+2

Hi Ali,

Fraxel is a specific fractionated laser. There now are many laser companies that manufacture fractionated lasers. Often times patients are told that they are getting Fraxel treatments when in fact it is a different fractionated laser. So firstly make sure that both are Fraxel.

Secondly, it is your face. $1700 is high for a single Fraxel restore treatment, while $500 is low, somewhere in the middle is about right. You should be able to find a board certified physician who can treat you for around $1000. With Fraxel restore treatments, unless you commit to a series of 3 to 5 treatments, you will not be satisfied.

Spa Fraxel lasers are refine with has a limited energy maximum (20 mj) while physician office Fraxel lasers are restore which have full enery capacity (70 mj)

Experience is an important factor in laser treatments. Although cost is also important, it should not be the primary factor in your decision.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Fraxel should be performed by a dermatologist

+1

There are several issues here.  You need to know which Fraxel laser is being used, since there are 4 types.  You should never have a laser treatment without a physician being on site in case there are any problems.  If you have problems after treatment at a med spa, will they be able to help you, or will they tell you to see a dermatologist?

Dermatologists have been trained to diagnose and treat skin, and laser treatments should not be taken lightly.  You should consult with a few board certified dermatologists to see which Fraxel laser would be appropriate for you and then you can compare prices.  What looks like a really good deal usually isn't!

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

It is best to see a real doctor

+1

I always think it beneficial to actually see a doctor, especially a board certified dermatologist, if your issue is skin rejuvenation. For one thing, we frequently spot skin cancers on that sun damaged skin! There are many faux dermatologists out there, and many faux Fraxels. I am always skeptical when things are too cheap. Depending on your locale, 2 Fraxel Duals should run about $2000.00.

Mary P. Lupo, MD
New Orleans Dermatologist