Fraxel Restore For Acne Scars? (photo)

Hi. I was thinking of getting Fraxel restore for my acne scars on my cheeks, but I am not sure that if its really going to help. I am bit suspicious about Faxel. The reviews are really not that helpful since people who review does not have the problem that I have. I just want to know that if I got four Fraxel restore done what can I expect. Please provide details explanation, I am putting pictures so you can see the type of scars I have.

Frazel Re:store for acne and Ematrix for darker skin type

+1

Fraxel RE:store is an excellent treatment for improving acne scars. Multiple treatments (usually 5 monthly) will be needed but a 50-75% improvement in the acne scars should be seen, based on our personal experience and that of published studies. If you have a darker skin type, you may also want to consider Ematrix (sublative rejuvenation). My experience has been that Ematrix has an easier recovery with each procedure than Fraxel Restore in skin with a lot of melanin.  Your picture shows multiple types of scars as well as some residual pore plugging.  If you aren't already, you should be on a retinol or tretinoin to improve this.  Fraxel Re:store is one of the most proven treatments for acne scars but skin care is very important as well.  

Web reference: http://www.advdermatology.com/pages/fraxel_re_store_laser_treatments/407.php

Chicago Dermatologic Surgeon

Fraxel very useful for acne scarring

+1

prior to obtaining our fraxel restore laser 4 years ago, i felt that there was fairly limited ability to improve acne scarring. this device is without doubt the best thing to come along for this problem since i started practice 25 years ago. that said, acne scars of the severity that are shown in your photos will never be completely eliminated, but 5-6 sessions should make a very noticeable improvement. there may be other complementary procedures that would perhaps help as well. expect this process to take a year or more start to finish.

Web reference: http://www.drbarach.com

Schenectady Plastic Surgeon

Fraxel Re:Store works well for acne scars

+1

These scars are relatively severe,as they are deep and have sharp edges and are relatively large in diameter, but still may be very responsive to treatment.Luckily there is not a large area of the face involved so treatment can be relatively inexpensive.In order to maximize the chances for success, several things need to be done - 1) High pulse energy in order to penetrate through the depth of the scar - probably 57-70mj 2) high density in order to affect as much tissue as possible in each treatment session - 32 % density 3) these settings will be painful so local anesthesia should be used so that the treatment can be done efficiently 4) the mechanism of action is stimulation of new collagen , so other agents that have been shown to do that  -TNS by SkinMedica and Retin-A 0.25-0.5 %- should be used concommitantly 5) the active acne should be treated at the same time - Retin-A will help, but "acne surgery "by an aesthetician to clear the blocked pores and possibly Minocycline should be considered. Improvement in the range of 25-50% would be anticipated after 4 treatment sessions, but sometimes >75 % is seen . Also don't forget that the new collagen formation goes on for 6-12 months after the last treatment session, so improvement tends to be slow and gradual, making comparative photos essential to judge the improvement

San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.