Fraxel Restore Vs. Smoothbeam for Enlarged Pores?

i have enlarged pores in center of my face where i am more oily there. since smoothbeam 1450 heats oil glands as water is its target. would fraxel restore since its target is water too, also heat oil glands to alter them as the smoothbeam does? are they similarly effective in effecting infundibulum and oil gland? thank you

Fraxel Restore works great at reducing pore size

+1

We have used both the SmoothBeam and Fraxel Restore lasers for years and the Fraxel Restore is excellent at reducing pore size. SmoothBeam laser works great on acne but it does not stimulate collagen as well as Fraxel and therefore does not shrink pores or reduce wrinkles as well.

Laguna Niguel Dermatologic Surgeon

Fraxel restore Versus Smoothbeam for Enlarged Skin Pores

+1

Hi Merck,

I have found that a series of Fraxel restore treatments is more effective on pores than Smoothbeam. Many acne scar patients who have had Fraxel restore have had their active acne diminish greatly along with improvement in the tone and texture of the skin. Some patients show improvement in their pores while others do not.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Pores and laser

+1

I have used Smoothbeam many years ago but did not find it very effective, in my hands. I have used Fraxel Restore with good results for fine lines and photodamage and acne scarring. Some patients who undergo the fraxel note improvement in their pores, and others don't see it. In general, I do notice more improvement in pores with Fraxel than other treatments I have tried.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Great question!

+1

I am not aware of any scientific studies comparing the two technologies, but in my practice I have used both bulk infrared heating like Smoothbeam, as well as fractional infrared non-ablative like Fraxel Restore and have found the Fraxel to improve skin texture more. I use the bulk heating devices more for active acne.

Mary Lupo, MD
New Orleans Dermatologist