Fraxel Restore Session for Acne Lasted Only 6 Minutes

I'm a 52 year old Caucasian man who cancelled a second Fraxel-Restore session today for acne scars on my cheeks after reading about worrying side effects by patients: 'orange peel' affect, 'pin holes', and 'fat loss', accompanied by some disturbing pictures. However, I’ve noticed that the doctors on this site discount these side effects as coming from Fraxel. My Fraxel practitioner is a highly qualified and experienced dermatologist, and I'm now wondering if I'm worrying unduly. My dermatologist admitted that there was little or no effect from my first session – in spite of having a high Fraxel Restore setting of 60 millijoules power, treatment level 6, and 1550 nanometeter setting with 8 passes – and has kindly offered me a full refund. One thing that concerned me is that my session lasted only 6 minutes. I quizzed my dermatologist on this. He thought it was 15 minutes (it wasn't as I timed it), but said it wasn't the time but the number of passes that mattered. Is it possible to effectively cover my whole face with 8 passes in just 6 minutes? The Fraxel website suggests 15-25 mins.

From my pics you will see that I have moderate acne scars with my biggest issue being a large acne depression on my cheek. Is Fraxel Restore itself likely to be effective here, or will I need supplementary work such as subcision or possibly a stronger laser such as Fraxel Repair?

Finally, I would be very grateful for recommendations for the best Fraxel practitioner in London or the UK.

Your letter raises a few questions regarding your fraxel restore treatment

+2

you look like a reasonable candidate for fraxel restore. acne scar treatment often involves fraxel and other modalities in addition as you have suggested. all can contribute to the overall improvement you desire.

noone should expect any significant noticeable improvement with just one fraxel restore treatment. you need to be committed to the series of at least four to six treatments and several months time afterward to see results. one treatment by itself is likely a waste of time and money.

a six minute treatment at only treatment level six seems very questionable  on both counts for moderate acne scars. i cant do a full-face fraxel in less than 15-20 minutes. fraxel restore is a great help for acne scars and you may want to get a second opinion from another provider experienced in this treatment before giving up on it.

Web reference: http://www.drbarach.com

Schenectady Plastic Surgeon

Fraxel restore over multiple treatments can give more improvement than fraxel repair but filling for deep depressions is needed

+2

I think that fraxel restore is a great treatment for average acne scars. It's treatment can be given over just a few mintues in tolerant patients by going back and forth with a minimum overalp to accomplish the normal 8 passes. However, for deep depressions, fillers such as fat injections may be necessary too, and these cana be done before or after the acne treatment.

Web reference: http://www.thenyac.com/fraxel/index.html

Fraxel Treatment

+1

Usually it takes longer than that. definitely you will not see the improvement just in one session we recommend a minimum of four sessions.