Fraxel Re:store or Fraxel Re:pair for Rolling Acne Scars?

Finally cleared up my acne with treatment of 40mg Accutane per day for 5 months. I have moderate case of rolling, depressed, and slightly discolored (red) acne scars on my cheeks that I would like fix.

I plan to get Fraxel Re:store or Fraxel Re:pair once I've been off Accutane for 6 months. Which treatment should I pursue? What is the difference in cost? I've seen before/after photos of both treatments and it looks like Fraxel Re:pair is more effective in evening out rolling, depressed scars. Fraxel Re:store looks to smooth rough edges but leave depressions in the skin.

Fraxel Re:store or Fraxel Re:pair for rolling acne scars?

+2

Hi Brenstu,

Both Fraxel restore and repair help minimize acne scars. It takes a series of 4 to 7 Fraxel restore treatments to get results, while the more aggressive Fraxel repair gives improvement with 1 to 3 treatments.

There is a longer recovery period with Fraxel repair. Which treatment the individual patient chooses depends on whether you have the time and constitution to go through the recovery of repair. I usually recommend repair for more impressiveresults, but restore does help.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Which Fraxel for my Acne Scars?

+1

Hi,

I agree with the other reviewers that you have to consider primarily the down-time and result between the two procedures.  I have both machines in my office and I prefer Fraxel Repair for significant acne scars only if the patient is ok with 7-10 days of indoor downtime and careful aftercare.  If a patient wants less down-time, they can also get good results with a series of 5-7 Restores on a high energy setting.  The price ends up being similar if you consider one Repair versus several Restores.

Dr. Liu

Grace Liu, MD
Newport Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Both Fraxel lasers will improve your scars

+1

Both Fraxel restore and Fraxel repair will improve your scars

Depending on the severity of your scars Fraxel restore will have to be repeated 5-7 times versus Fraxel Repair 1-3 times

The main difference will be the down time which is minimal with the Restore and about 7-10 days with the Repair.

Good luck.

Nissan Pilest, MD
Irvine Dermatologic Surgeon

Your age and skin type are important factors

+1

You will get good results with restore. It is less aggressive and less down time. If you have deep acne scar and loss of fat, fat injection with the scar release can be helpful.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Fraxel Re:store vs. Re:pair for acne scars

+1

With many treatments, the Fraxel Re:store does provide significant improvement with scar elevation, even more than the improvement that one aggressive Fraxel RE:pair can produce, and with less risk of scarring from the treatment (there always is a risk with any treatment). Keep in mind that wire wheel dermabrasion and carbon dioxide laser resurfacing (not fractional) will not remove all scars. Finding a procedure such as the Fraxel Re:store with minimal risk and good success in scar improvement has been very rewarding for my patients and myself. The Fraxel Re:pair does give many patients good results but don't give up on the Re:store!

Ronald Shelton, MD