Fraxel Laser or Repair on Olive Skin?

I am Latin with olive skin and a quick tanner. I want treatment for my moderate acne scars and lines around my lips. Which between Fraxel Laser or Repair should I have? Am I more prone to hyperpigmentation with the Repair? How likely is it to occur? I need to decide quickly; the MD is running a special for the month of June. Thank you so much for your help.

Never make a hasty decision

+2

First, let's talk names. Fraxel is a brand name of one of the leaders in fractional laser resurfacing. Fraxel Restore is commonly called just "Fraxel". It is the first NON-ablative fractional resurfacing that has been around now for several years and is VERY safe for ethnic skin types. It is wonderful for acne scars, discoloration, fine lines, and not so great for true wrinkles.

Fraxel Repair is the fractional ABLATIVE CO2 resurfacing laser from that company. It is fabulous for wrinkles and in some skin types for acne scars, but must be done very cautiously in darker skin because of the risk of color change.

Both procedures require meticulous skin preparation, and sun avoidance (summer not such a great time to do this), so don't rush to save a few hundred dollars.

New Orleans Dermatologist

Fraxel; re:store or re:pair in Latin Skin With Acne Scars and Lines Around the Mouth?

+2

Hi Numa,

Darker skin types are more prone to post inflammatory hyperpigmentation (PIH) which is darkening of the skin that is a stage of healing that will gradually go away with treatment.

Fraxel re:store is much less likely to result in PIH, but will not treat your lines as dramatically. A series of treatments will help your acne scarring.

Your chances of PIH are greater with Fraxel re:pair. re:pair will give you better results on both your lines and acne scars as it is a more aggressive treatment.

With either treatment, stay out of that strong Florida sunshine.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD