How Does Fraxel Restore or Repair Fix Hypertrophic Scars?

Hi. I have a 1 inch hypertrophic scar on my chest which is nearly flat thanks to 5FU injections. I would like to see if I can improve the appearance further with Fraxel Laser.

However, which is the better laser for hypertrophic scars, Fraxel Repair or Fraxel Restore? Also, I can't understand the theory of how Fraxel helps. I thought hypertrophic scars were caused by too much collagen production and Fraxel stimulates the production of collagen, so is this not the last thing the scar needs? Thanks.

Hypertrophic scars treated with laser

+1

Fraxel restore might improve atrophic scars, the ones that are flat and white and spread. Hypertrophic scars may or may not improve and might worsen for the very reason you mentioned. V-beam is a laser that reduces blood flow in the scar and may help it maintain its smoothness and minimize the chance of developing thickening again from the scars own tendency. If someone were to try Fraxel, I would recommend doing a small test site at first and not the whole scar.

Fraxel could work

+1

I don't think anyone understands exactly how fractionated lasers work on scars. I perform a lot of fractionated laser resurfacing on post-surgical scars from skin cancer reconstruction and can tell you that it works well.

My guess is that collagen remodeling is occuring and this results in an improved scar. Scars on the chest wall tend to become hypertrophic because they are over a bony surface, so there may be some limitation to how much better your scar can appear.