Fraxel Restore - How Are the First and Second Generation Lasers Different?

I'm on my third session of second generation Fraxel. My nurse says it is much better than first generation. I'm confused about that. Please explain the difference.

My skin looks better but not too much better. Some wrinkles are still there. My neck seems to have improved. I'm wondering if I should have gone directly to the Fraxel Repair.

You Are Probably Right

+2

Dear Missy,

The first generation Fraxel was called Fraxel 750, the second Fraxel SR1500, both are now renamed Fraxel re:store, erbium fractionated non-ablative lasers that help correct mild to moderate skin wrinkles and brown spots, acne scars, and melasma.

The difference between the 1'st and 2'nd generation re:store Fraxel lasers was a $30,000 "upgrade" fee paid to Reliant, and alleged improved results because of an aperture on the SR1500 laser that adjusted the size of the laser spot along with changes in depth.

Clinically, after having used both, I did not see much of a difference between the first and second generation. I still use the Fraxel SR1500 in selected patients. For wrinkles and skin tightening, both of the re:store models don't come close to the results obtained from a single treatment with Fraxel re:pair, a fractionated carbon dioxide ablative laser treatment. For patients who desire dramatic results, and are willing to put up with increased social downtime, Fraxel re:pair is the way to go.

All is not lost though, we have found that patients who have had previous Fraxel re:store treatments do very well with Fraxel re:pair treatments (there is an additive effect).

Be Well.

Dr. P

Fraxel Restore

+1

There is little difference between the 1st and 2nd generation Fraxel Restore lasers. The early one required the use of a coloring agent applied to the skin prior to laser treatment. The second generation Fraxel Restore laser does not require that. However, the results achieved by both lasers are fairly similar. Neither of them is the same as Fraxel Repair, which generally is a more aggressive approach to the treatment of aging skin and wrinkles.

David Goldberg, MD

The second generation Fraxel is both better and worse

+1

The second generation Fraxel is better in that it penetrates deeper than the first generation laser AND it doesn't require the blue dye that the first generation laser used, which was the worse feature about it. However, we found that while the second generation was a little bit better at treating wrinkles than the first, the first generation Fraxel did a better job at treating hyperpigmentation.

Lorrie Klein, MD
Laguna Niguel Dermatologic Surgeon