Laser for Dermabrasion Scars?

Hi, I have a question about Fraxel Restore. I received dermabrasion about two years ago on a few acne scars on my chin. Unfortunately, the scars looked much worse after the dermabrasion. My doctor is recommending Fraxel Restore. My main concern is the possibilty of worsening the scars, or creating a demarcation line (the doctor will only do the chin area). What is the risk involved? And, what kind of benefit do you think I will see in this situation? Thank you!

Try fraxel restore for dermabrasion scar

+2

I have successfully used Fraxel Restore to correct scarring from dermabrasion. If the doctor is board certified and experienced with these modalities, it should work. Good Luck.

New Orleans Dermatologist

Scar revision of a dermabrasion scar

+1

If you have fair skin, the selective fractional co2 works well to repair dermabrasion scarring. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Test the area first

+1

You are wise to try test areas first. I would make sure that my doctor is trained in all the different techniques of facial resurfacing and is not just recommending the only one he is able to do. Caution is the word.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Fraxel re:store for dermabrasion scars

+1

The Fraxel re:store is pretty safe but there are still some risks that depend on your skin type and also whether you're on hormones or any photosensitizing meds or have significant sun exposure.  All types of fractional resurfacing including Fraxel re:store do cause an injury to the skin which could potentially make you more sensitive to the sun and cause hyperpigmentation (excess pigment) if you don't take proper precautions.  It probably won't worsen your scars but it's difficult to predict how much improvement you can expect.

M. Christine Lee, MD
Walnut Creek Dermatologic Surgeon

Dermabrasion versus laser for scar revision

+1

Dermabrasion is a very effective technique to resurface the skin and to correct some prominent scars. Dermabrasion works by sending down the outer layers of skin until the deeper layers are exposed. It is these deeper layers of skin that will regrow skin and hopefully improved quality. Lasers perform basically the same function. When choosing between treatments, consider the amount of area that need to be treated and the depth of skin that he can be reached. Lasers often work better if the entire face needs to be resurfaced. If you have a small area of skin or a discrete scar, either procedure may work effectively.

Pat Pazmino, MD

Fraxel for post-dermabrasion scars

+1

The Fraxel Re:store laser may be helpful for treating dermabrasion scars, and it is unlikely to cause pigment changes. I have treated patients with the Re:store laser on only parts of the face and have not seen any demarcation lines. You may want to consider the Fraxel Re:pair if the scars are deep. The Re:pair can often produce greater improvement in scarring, but there is more risk of pigment change. It also takes longer to heal after a treatment with the fraxel Re:pair compared to the Re:store.

Rachel Herschenfeld, MD
Boston Dermatologist

Fraxel re:store for Dermabrasion Scars

+1

Hi Girl on Journey,

Fraxel re:store is likely the best available technology to attempt to correct and improve your scars. There is no guarantee that your scars will be completely gone, but there is a great chance of improvement. The risk of hypo- or hyper-pigmentation with Fraxel re:store is extremely low.

Good luck and happy holidays.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD