Does Fraxel Restore Cause Fat Loss or Indentations?

I've read that some people believe that they suffered fat loss or indentations from Fraxel Restore. Is this a concern?

Fraxel does not cause fat loss

+1

Fraxel does not penetrate to the depth of the fatty compartment. It helps stimulate collagen. I am not aware of any physician-documented reports of fatty atrophy received by Fraxel’s company.You should discuss this with your physician if you are interested in receiving the treatment.

Web reference: http://www.thenyac.com

Fraxel Restore causing fat loss or indentations?

+1

I can't see this happening with Fraxel Restore and personally have neither seen this nor heard of it.

Might you be referring to "old" Thermage when that technology first came out? In some rare instances there was report of an occasional over-treatment which did cause some indentations from fat loss. With the current Thermage protocols that should never happen.

Fraxel Restore does not reach the fat layers in the skin so the only way this could even potentially occur with a different similar laser is if a technician stacked the laser pulses over and over in the same area.

Fraxel's delivery technology makes this theoretically impossible as the laser stops firing once the handpiece stops moving. The Fraxel laser uses a "roller" that glides over the skin and unless it's moving, nothing happens. It's a built in safety mechanism and one of the reasons I like both Fraxel Restore and Fraxel Repair.

Of course as physicians we all want to investigate anything we've not been exposed to. So in joining in Dr. Persky's query, let us know where you've read of this problem.

Irvine Dermatologic Surgeon

Fraxel re:store, Does it Cause Fat Loss and Indentations?

+1

Hi Dj,

I have treated hundreds of patients with Fraxel re:store for the past 5 years without seeing any loss of fat or indentations. I have not read any reports of this type of adverse event in our medical scientific journals.

Therefore I do not consider this a concern. Please let us know where you have read these reports.

Thank you and be well.

Dr. P

Have not seen fat loss from Fraxel Restore

+1

We have performed close to 1,000 Fraxel restore treatments and have not seen any incidence of fat loss or soft tissue indentation. The same applies to Fraxel repair.

Westborough Facial Plastic Surgeon