Can Fraxel Restore Make You Breakout After Treatment?

i have very oily skin, acne scarring and right now mild acne..Am I a candidate for fraxel restore?What is the best kind of fraxel for me..

Acne scars and Fraxel laser

+1

Whether you have Fraxel Restore (mutliple treatments) or Fraxel Repair, you may expect a flare of the active acne.  Try to get it under control first before resurfacing the scars as the swelling of the skin from the laser, and the ointments used, especially after Fraxel Repair, may plug the pores and exacerbate the acne flares.

Acne breakouts following Fraxel Restore

+1

Prior to recommending Fraxel Restore to my patients with active acne I will put them on a regimen to diminish and control acne breakouts.  In patients who still have acne prone skin I have often seen a flare of papules and cysts during the intial recovery days.  In those patients I find pretreating them, sometimes with an oral antibiotic, will provide an uncomplicated recovery.  Fraxel Restore does a beautiful job of improving some types of acne scars.  Consult your dermatologist to get the best advice and treatment for your particular skin type.

Pamela Carr, MD
Sugar Land Dermatologic Surgeon