Best Laser Treatment for Large Pores and Under Eye Wrinkles

For some time now, I have been looking for a treatment to get rid of my under eye wrinkles (they are genetic I guess - I have had them since I was 13) and the excess skin on my upper eyelids. I was told that maybe the Deep Fx or Fraxel Re:store would be ideal, and no other lasers could go that close to my eye. The wrinkles go all the way up to the eyelid base - they are deep and long. I also have huge pores on my face, and I really want them to be minimized as well. Which between Fraxel and Deep FX/Active FX would best address my concerns?

Both lasers work well for different indications

+3

A series (3-5 treatments) of Fraxel restore treatments will work well to tighten pores, but not as well for tightening of the skin as a fractionated CO2 laser, such as the Fraxel Repair or Deep FX.

In our extensive experience with both the Fraxel Restore (>2 yrs) and the Fraxel Repair (>1 year) is that the latter works better for skin tightening and both work well for pores.

The Restore will require less downtime than the Repair but needs to be done in a series and will not tighten skin as well as the Repair.

Dr. Ahn

Westborough Facial Plastic Surgeon

Best Laser for Large Pores and Under Eye Wrinkles

+1

I think your issues would be better addressed with a treatment with an Erbium laser such as the Sciton Joule rather than a CO2 laser.  There is certainly no truth to the statement that a CO2 laser is the only laser able to treat up to the proximity of the eyelashes.  The Scition Joule actually allows for much more precise control of the ablation and heat applied during the treatment since it is the only "tunable" laser on the market where these two variables are able to be controlled independently.

Treatment with the Contour TRL modality of the Sciton on the lower eyelids as well as Profractional treatment to the areas of large pores has shown excellent results in my practice.  

I would certainly recommend a consultation with a physician who has extensive experience with both the CO2 and Erbium devices but in my practice the Erbium has provided a much more precise and repeatable result with less downtime and more satisfied patients.

Best Regards,

Jacque P. LeBeau, MD

Jacque P. LeBeau, MD
Pensacola Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fraxel Re:pair for Under Eye Wrinkles!

+1

The Fraxel re:pair  is a fractional technology that utilizes the ablative CO2 laser wavelength of light. It is more aggressive than the Fraxel Restore (non-ablative) in that it leaves the skin with small open wounds which create a healing period of approximately 5-7 days. minor wound care and oral medications are essential for recovery. Makeup can be applied 5-7 days after the treatment with the potential for minor coverable redness for 1-2 weeks afterward. The Fraxel Repair is for the patient that requires the most aggressive of treatment for deep scars, deep wrinkles, particularly around the EYES and mouth, and skin looseness. Fraxel Repair patients want dramatic results in one treatment session.

Cameron Rokhsar, MD

Fraxel and Co2 lasers can tighten your skin

+1

Generally, you can go up to 3 mm away from your eyelid margin to treat wrinkles around your eye. In this case it will be beneficial to have eyeshields to protect your eyes. When you get really close to the eyelid margin you will put your eyelashes at risk. Even if the laser doesn't hit it directly, you can have the plume singe the eyelashes. There are some that think the eyelashes do not grow back as long.

My experience has been with Deep FX. This can tighten up your skin but may need multiple treatments to get the results that you would like. Traditional co2 lasers can tighten up your skin in one treatment but you will have a week or so downtime.

The other way to improve the wrinkles is to volumize the area. It can be done especially in the lower eyelid and upper cheek area to bring back the youth that you used to have. Instead of cutting tissue away you add the volume that made you look young long ago.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fraxel and Total FX - Both are "the best"

+1

I have used both of these technologies and am very impressed with the results. I think either choice is less important than the qualifications and experience of the doctor doing the procedure.

Good luck!

Mary Lupo, MD
New Orleans Dermatologist