Will Fraxel Repair Tighten Mid-cheek Creping?

I have the beginning of drooping jowls, but the part that bothers me most is the creping on my cheeks. I do not want to go through Fraxel Repair unless it will tighten the creping. Also I have very soft skin and wonder if this would lead to faster return of wrinkles after procedure?

Keep Your Crepes at the Restaurant

+3

I have been very impressed with the affect that Fraxel re:pair has on the creping of the cheeks that you are describing. It should improve your cheek area, but obviously we cannot make guarantees. I do not believe that your soft skin should affect the return of wrinkles after your treatment. My only caveat is to choose your treating physician carefully. Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Fraxel Re:pair does work for for this

+3

The Fraxel re:pair is a fractional ablative CO2 laser. I see marked improvement in the fine lines in the cheek with this laser. Drooping jowls are mildly corrected. I don't know about return of wrinkles fast than other types of skin. The concept of this laser is to thicken the skin by stimulating collagen and tighten the skin thru removal of microscopic tissue plugs and collagen stimulation. The Fraxel which is referred to below is the Fraxel re:store, which is an Erbium Laser.

Steve Weiner, Facial Plastic Surgeon, Destin, Florida.

Fraxel restore, a non-ablative laser treatment, will have a

+3

Fraxel restore, a non-ablative laser treatment, will have a mild ot moderate effect on the creping, but would not be as effective as an ablative laser treatment.

With fair, thin skin it will improve the most. If wrinkles are in areas that are non-movement areas they won't remove as fast. Wrinkles in movement areas (also called dynamic wrinkle--smile lines, wrinkes caused by lifting your eyebrows regularly) will return faster.

There are two kinds of lasers:

Ablative:

• Removes top layer of skin.
  • Requires one treatment.
  • Requires 3-4 weeks of downtime.

Non-ablative (Fraxel restore):

• Doesn't remove the top layer and doesn't create a raw surface.
  • Requires multiple treatments.
  • Doesn't require downtime.

Fraxel restore is a non-ablative laser that only treats 20% of the area, and therefore requires 5 total treatments. Fraxel works by heating up tissue so the body can lay down collagen. You need to wait 2-3 weeks between treatments. And, because it is milder than an ablative treatment, you need to wait several month to see results.

Ablative CO2 laser resurfacing is considered the gold standard laser treatment. Ablative treatments tend to be cheaper, because they only require one treatment, but do require more downtime.

Ultimately, the patient needs to choose between faster results and more down time (ablative) or slower results and no downtime (non-ablative, Fraxel).

Will Fraxel Repair Improve my cheek creping?

+1

I love Fraxel Repair for this indication.  If a patient has creping due to volume loss in the cheek hollows, you can fill those areas with Radiesse, Juvederm, Sculptra or other fillers.  However, the superficial wrinkles from crepiness are still visible.  Fraxel Repair works by utilizing microscopic dots of CO2 laser to tighten the skin and the heat process stimulates new collagen formation.  If you watch YouTube videos of Repair, you can actually see the skin tighten as the laser passes over the wrinkles.  In the most recent laser studies, they have measured the amount of ablated skin removed by the Repair.  We usually perform the recommended four passes over the entire face, and then focus on any problem areas such as mid face crepiness with additional passes of the Repair.

Newport Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Fraxel Repair Will Tighten Mid-cheek Creping

+1

Fraxel Repair will improve the creping in your cheeks. It does this through two mechanisms. First, because it is an ablative laser, the Fraxel Repair actually tightens the skin of the cheeks. Second, as part of the healing process after Fraxel Repair laser treatment, new collagen is formed in the skin. These two mechanisms of action work together to reduce the creping in your cheeks.

In my own personal experience with many Fraxel Repair patients, the cheeks respond very well to this laser. You should be able to easily see very good improvement in your cheek creping after Fraxel Repair laser treatment.

Take care and be well.

George Anterasian, MD

Santa Monica Facial Plastic Surgeon

We don't see faster return of wrinkles because of...

+1

We don’t see faster return of wrinkles because of thin or soft skin. Fraxel repair does help induce more collagen production over several months after the procedure. Some patients do obtain tightening in the cheeks to make the jowls less apparent but usually not to the extent that a facelift would address this.

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.