Fraxel Repair for Improving Skin Texture?

I'm looking into Fraxel Repair for a year now. I had 5 Fraxel Refine and 1 Fraxel Restore treatments before for rolling acne scars. I also had Sculptra, which helped a lot, but now it's the skin texture I'm concerned about. The scars aren't too deep anymore. Will the Fraxel Repair help remove the top old tissue? Is there a state of permanent restructuring of the scar tissue after treatment? If one were to do this once a year, wouldn't it gradually peel away an almost perfect skin?

Re: Fraxel Repair For Improving Skin Texture

+1

Fraxel Repair works by targeting deeper skin layers. The laser energy is administered as tiny vertical columns. It does not remove tissue from the top layer. However the cells within the columns are vaporized.

As your skin is heated from this process, it will produce new collagen  because it perceives itself to be injured.  This new collagen will fill in the pits and depressions of the scars to create a more even looking texture.  So yes, it does restructure the scar tissue by gradually fading it with new collagen.

Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Fractional CO2 Laser for Facial Rejuvenation

+1

Fractional CO2 Laser has become the new gold standard for laser resurfacing for scar revision, wrinkles, and sun damage. The old traditional ablative CO2 laser resurfacing had been the prior gold standard treatment; however, the requirement for general anesthesia and associated downtime has made the traditional CO2 laser resurfacing less desirable. Fractional CO2 laser allows for the CO2 laser energy to be delivered in a fractionated fashion to dramatically shorten downtime 5-6 days and achieve significant smoothing of skin texture and rejuvenation of an aging skin with one treatment. All Fractional CO2 Lasers performed comparably (ActiveFX, Mixto, Fraxel Repair, etc).

The key is to find an experienced physician with a team approach to customize a series of pre-op and post-op care routine to maximize your clinical outcome. Different parameters such as the depths of laser penetration, density of penetration, energy released, number of passes for particular anatomic region vary for different skin types and different priorities of the patients. Ideally, you should be under the care of a board-certified dermatologist who has performed at least 50 cases of your skin type and know exactly what to do in order to prevent and manage complications.

William Ting, MD
Bay Area Dermatologic Surgeon